none
Can I find out the version of the installed OS & service pack RRS feed

• Question

• I have Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit version 6.5.4229.01 installed and have exported the database  into SQL server for reporting.

Is there a way for me to search the data collected in the tables and find out the version of the operating system and what service pack installed on them.

I would like to avoid  visiting  the desktops connected to the network  and hoping that the collected data in the database allow me to identify the version of the OS and the service pack/patches  of the workstations, and to prepare a report  to  let the client know which one of their PC's need windows update, security patches & .. and which one's are up to date.

Appreciate any suggestion/feedback.

Thanks

Jay

Jay Tabatabai

Monday, June 18, 2012 7:16 PM

Answers

• You can generate report from the MAP tool as Michael mentioned. You can also view the result of the inventory from the MAP tool. From the "Inventory and Assessment" toolpane on the left side, just select/expand "Desktop". From there you should be able to see the inventory result. You can sort/group the data differently too.

I didn't have to export the entire database as of yet. So far the tool gives me the info I need.

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/

• Marked as answer by jaytaba Friday, June 22, 2012 6:27 AM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:44 AM

All replies

• Jay - Have you run an inventory from the MAP tool? That should give you the info you're looking for (i.e. OS and/or SP version).

Pman

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:40 AM
  • Hi Parvez,

I did run the inventory tool, but since there are no data dictionary available for the MAP (that I know of), I am not able to find the OS and/or SP version. I looked at few tables, i.e.   "Windows_Installed_Software_Full table", "Products"  .. but could not find any OS /patch info.

Do you happen to know the table names (in the MAP database), that may have the data that I am looking for?

Thanks

Jay

Jay Tabatabai

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 4:31 PM
  • The SQL Server Assessment report has all of this info in it. Just go to Databases > SQL Server and choose "Generate Report" in the Actions pane.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 12:34 AM
  • You can generate report from the MAP tool as Michael mentioned. You can also view the result of the inventory from the MAP tool. From the "Inventory and Assessment" toolpane on the left side, just select/expand "Desktop". From there you should be able to see the inventory result. You can sort/group the data differently too.

I didn't have to export the entire database as of yet. So far the tool gives me the info I need.

Pman

• Marked as answer by jaytaba Friday, June 22, 2012 6:27 AM
    Wednesday, June 20, 2012 1:44 AM