none
Need to have your copy revoked for a clean reinstall of Windows 8.1? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone

I have purchased a retail version of Windows 8.1 Pro from Microsoft recently. The install appeared to have completed successfully, but after enabling Secure Boot on an Intel Desktop Board (because the desktop had a message 'Secure Boot is not enabled'), the system not only stopped booting but also stopped displaying the Intel logo, hence nothing showing on my monitor. I resolved the issue by restoring the BIOS settings but still Windows 8.1 Pro cannot boot to the login menu, thus wishing to do a clean reinstall.

I have very bad experience with reinstallation of Windows 7 Ultimate so I am quite worried about that of Windows 8.1 Pro. What happened with my Windows 7 Ultimate was that after several reinstalls on the same machine, its product key got locked by Microsoft. Even though I phoned Microsoft Technical Support, operators told me that I had an OEM version instead of a retail version and would not help me although the copy was a genuine retail version!. I have to avoid having the product key of my Windows 8.1 Pro locked by Microsoft in the same way, so I would  like to know the safest way possible to reinstall my Windows 8.1 Pro. For instance, is there a way to revoke the copy prior to stating a reinstall?

It would be appreciated if someone would give me advice.

Best regards,

Ead

• Edited by ead2809 Sunday, October 27, 2013 7:53 AM
    Sunday, October 27, 2013 7:52 AM

Answers