Restore old Content DB to new farm RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have built a new farm and need to restore the content database from the old farm to this new farm. The old farms content database is version 14.0.6106.5002 (June CU)and the new farm is version 14.0.6109.5002 (August CU). I´m planning to create a web application in the new farm, delete its content database and restore the content databse from the old farm via SQL Manager, then attach this content database to the newly created web application through Central Administration. Will this work?

Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:21 PM

Answers

• This will work, during the attach db in the Central Admin the version of the database will be updated.

You can't restore/attach to lower version.

Marek Chmel, WBI Systems (MCTS, MCITP, MCT, CCNA)
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:32 PM
  • no you should not restore this database over newly created one, but you can restore old database under new name (for example wss_content_newversion) and when you will create new application on new AugustCU farm, simply provide this wss_content_newversion as the new application database name.

During this process, before you backup old database, I would suggest to switch it to read-only so you will have consisted data on both sharepoint applications and you won't have to worry about loosing any user changes.

Regards, Stanisław Delost, NETPRIME. http://www.net-pro.net
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:57 PM

All replies

• yes it will work, but you don't have to create a new content database for new application, just restore your JuneCU database to new SQL instance, and when you'll create new application, instead of choosing a new database name, type in the restored database name - it will attach it automatically without much more effort.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:27 PM
  • Ok, thank you. The databases will be on the same SQL server and instance. is this a problem?
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:31 PM
  • This will work, during the attach db in the Central Admin the version of the database will be updated.

You can't restore/attach to lower version.

Marek Chmel, WBI Systems (MCTS, MCITP, MCT, CCNA)
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:32 PM
  • no it's not a problem, but when you attach the database to the August2011 CU farm, it should be detached from the old farm first - so you need to detach this content database from the old farm application first.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:41 PM
  • I was hoping I could do this seamless, without the users noticing (short break when we redirect the DNS requests). We need to restore the old database to the same instance as the old and with a different name. Will it be possible to restore it over the empty database created by the new web application or create a empty databse in SQL Manager and restore it to that database?

Thank you all for the replies :)

• Edited by Json_0 Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:51 PM
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:50 PM
  • no you should not restore this database over newly created one, but you can restore old database under new name (for example wss_content_newversion) and when you will create new application on new AugustCU farm, simply provide this wss_content_newversion as the new application database name.

During this process, before you backup old database, I would suggest to switch it to read-only so you will have consisted data on both sharepoint applications and you won't have to worry about loosing any user changes.

Thursday, October 27, 2011 12:57 PM
  • Thank you for your replies. I will try this tomorrow.
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Hello. Everything seems to have worked out just fine. Thank you.
    Tuesday, November 1, 2011 1:46 PM