none
Schedule Calculates Different Values Based on User Using Schedule RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi -

    I have two users accessing one schedule through Microsoft Project Server 2010. 

    Each has the same permissions.

    However, when one user opens the schedule in Project Pro 2010, the date for a key milestone is 3/27/17. 

    When another user opens the same schedule in the same exact manner, the date for the same key milestone is 4/19/17.

    I had the user hit F9 to see if it was a calculation problem. No, it was not.

    I had the user review Options to see if tasks were honoring their constraint dates - they were not.

    I compared the files and found that dates for several tasks were obviously incorrect (i.e., held in time several days after the predecessor's Finish date without a lag or Actual Start to account for the successor's Start date). In each case, I removed the same task as a predecessor to three other tasks. Then, I immediately re-assigned that predecessor to the tasks and that fixed the problem. That is, the dates for the successor tasks snapped back to their expected forecast Start dates.

    It bothers me that this is a problem for one user and not another and I have suspected an issue with a setting (but which one?). However, with the test of removing/reassigning the same predecessor, I wonder if it's a corruption issue. However, don't understand why it would impact one user and not another.

    Anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks in advance -- Eve



    • Edited by EBBECC Thursday, January 5, 2017 10:28 PM
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 10:10 PM

Answers

  • Turns out the root cause of the issue was due to the user doing resource leveling within the project. (He had his Resource leveling options set to automatically level the project.)  The difference in behavior went away if he cleared leveling on the file and set the Leveling calculations option to manual. 

    Guillaume, can't thank you enough for your help.

    Eve


    • Edited by EBBECC Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by EBBECC Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:25 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:25 PM

All replies

  • Hi Eve,

    The first thing would be to check is you are comparing the same version of the project. You should not take the cached version of the project but the published or draft ones. Try also to clean up user's cache.


    Hope this helps,


    Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

    Friday, January 6, 2017 8:36 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks, Guillaume -

    We reviewed those characteristics and all is the same between users.

    :(

    Eve

    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 3:25 PM
  • Hi Eve,

    Did you clean up the local cache for all users?

    Basically the data are stored in a database which users read on when opening a project plan. Thus it should not be possible. Have you tried to open the project plan with the schedule page in PWA to see if there are any differences? Also check if all users have in the file menu, "options", "schedule", the "recalculate after each edit" parameter set to ON. This might cause that if it is set to NO, the project is not calculated for some users.


    Hope this helps,


    Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 4:07 PM
    Moderator
  • Hello -

    I'm confirming with the user that he did clear the cache - I asked him to do so on a few occasions, but I never received an affirmative.

    The idea about PWA is a good one - I'll have him check now.

    Also, the calculation parameter setting is one of the first things I checked. All was set to ON.

    I so appreciate your help -- Eve

    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 4:13 PM
  • Hello Guillaume -

    Quick question: what do you mean about "clean up the local cache for all users"? Do you mean, everyone who uses this particular file needs to clear their cache?

    BTW, with regard to the "Have you tried to open the project plan with the schedule page in PWA to see if there are any differences?" question, here are the results:

    • Open-> in Project Pro read-only - shows incorrect 4/19 milestone date
    • Open-> in PWA - shows correct 3/27 milestone date
    • Open-> in Project Web App shows correct 3/27 milestone date

    Does this shed any light?

    Thank you -- Eve




    • Edited by EBBECC Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:36 PM
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 6:34 PM
  • For the local cache, I meant cleaning the local cache for all users having the issue, not all users having the project in their cache.

    In Project Pro, the "read-only" version is the published version, thus the publish version might be corrupted, or the publish job might have had an issue. If you open it in read write in Project Pro, is it correct? In case it is correct, it might confirm that the issue is about the published version.

    In PWA, did you look at the draft or published version?

    Anyway we could give it a try.

    1. Open the project in PWA and publish it. Check that the publish job is successful. Finally check if the date are correct.
    2. If it does not work, delete ONLY the published version of the project and do again step1.

    Hope this helps,


    Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

    Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:09 AM
    Moderator
  • Turns out the root cause of the issue was due to the user doing resource leveling within the project. (He had his Resource leveling options set to automatically level the project.)  The difference in behavior went away if he cleared leveling on the file and set the Leveling calculations option to manual. 

    Guillaume, can't thank you enough for your help.

    Eve


    • Edited by EBBECC Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by EBBECC Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:25 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:25 PM