No sound with clean windows 7 64-bit upgrade, sound blaster x-fi RRS feed

• Question

• I just did a clean upgread from Windows XP 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit and now my sound doesn't work, however it worked great on the XP system. The device manager recognizes the sound blaster x-fi and the on-board realtek AC'97. I can't get either one to produce sound when set as default. The speakers are plugged in correctly. I spent 2 hrs on the phone with Microsoft tech support last night (case # 1132635872) and the second technician finally got the sound to work, by a fluke i think, but only for about 3 mins. After i got off the phone with her, i went to optimize the sound (gamer mode to entertainment mode) and got a crackly sound. So, i rebooted the computer and no sound again.  I have tried uninstalling the sound card, drivers and all and reinstalling them. I have the most up-to-date driver installed and the creative website shows that my sound card IS compatible with Windows 7 64-bit.  I consider myself an advanced computer operator, both with hardware and software and have spent close to 20 hrs trying to get the sound to work and have tried everything i can think of, including googeling the ____ out of "no sound windows 7 sound blaster x-fi). i have also e-mailed creative tech support, but that may take a few days to get a response.

Here are my system specs:

Custom built system

BIOS: Phoenix - awardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD athlon 64 x2 duel core processor 3800+ (2 cpu's) 2.00ghz

Memory: 4096mb

Sound card: Sound Blaster x-fi, model number: SB0460, serial#: masb046758002834h

On-board sound: realtek AC'97

Speakers: Creative 5.1 surround

Please don't reply with "generic" fixes, as I have tried most of them already. i.e. using windows update to install driver, disable on-board audio, make sure all speakers are plugged in and turned on, download newest driver, using windows troubleshooter to find the problem (it says everything is working good) etc. Thanks so much for your time in reading this and giving suggestions :)

Amnda

• Moved by Mike Kinsman Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:58 PM off topic (From:TechNet Website Feedback)
    Wednesday, June 2, 2010 6:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Amanda...

I came across this post looking for a solution to the exact same issue.  Your configuration is almost identical to mine and I am experiencing the same symptons.  I have tried everything under the sun and it still no workie for me.  Were you able to find a solution to this problem?

Thanks,

Brett

Wednesday, April 27, 2011 8:29 PM
  • Brett and Amanda,

Unfortunately your posts are off topic here, in the TechNet Site Feedback forum, because they are not Feedback about the TechNet Website or Subscription.

For more information about where to post your question please see this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/tnfeedback/thread/24ee65e4-0f35-403c-9bf7-41333cd13cb5

Best guess for you is to post your question at http://answers.microsoft.com in the Windows section.

Moving to off topic.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 8:57 PM