PC locking and having to hard shut down RRS feed

• Question

• I (for some stupid reason) decided to purchase a new Gateway PC from Bestbuy. Had the GEEK Squad install everything. (anotherr stupid mistake.) The antivirus program they installed was a NAV (third screw-up ). I have had this rather expensive PC less than a year and now I am having to shut it down hard nearly every time I shut down. I also have had NAV find ONE virus and it can't remove it. The virus name begins with % and that's all the info it gives on it. Says it is a "low risk". Still want it gone and NAV can't remove it. Also run Spybot and I guess it is doing it's job...seems to find something to quanrantine all the time. I was checking another websites discussion group and read that if you have a wireless network connection, then you need to turn off your router before you try to shut down. I read this after I began a troubleshooting step in Vista's help by resetting my Explorer to the original config and running defender on full scan. As soon as that finishes, I'll see what is shows, then try to shut down. If i have to hard boot down again, I'll try turning off my wireless router and shutting down. IF that works, I'll leave a post stating it worked.....and that might help anybody else having the same problem that has a router. Got any good recommendations for a antivurus program that is NOT made by Symantec?  I hate Gateway and I hate Symantec. Gateway's customer support sucks. They just read from a manual and will ultimately tell you to reformat when they can't fix it.

Monday, March 3, 2008 3:44 PM

All replies

• Best AV you can find = NOD32

Check out www.eset.com and get a free 30 day trial. Its cheaper to renew than Symantec also.
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 12:53 AM