none
invalid ip addreses in the _msdcs dns domain RRS feed

• Question

• I wasn't sure if this should go to the DNS or AD forum. We have 2 domain controllers. These servers also run DNS, DHCP, NAP

While poking around in my DNS, I noticed some IP addresses in the _msdcs section of my dns zone at the "gc" level (see screenshot) that are invalid - I am assuming they are old domain controllers as our documentation shows the address ranges they are in are labeled "old". There are also some in the "domaindnszones" and "forestdnszones" section but there doesn't appear to be any down in the sub "_sites" and "_tcp" zones.

dns screenshot

Are there any issues with simply deleting the invalid ones? I am struggling to find any documentation that might give some guidance one way or the other.

Friday, January 22, 2016 4:20 PM

Answers

• It's safe to just delete them. These records would belong to domain controllers which are also global catalogue's. Each time you start a domain controller, and at frequent intervals, the domain controllers re-register any relevant DNS enties that they need to provide the service they do so you can't do any permanent damage.

I would imagine that you do not have DNS Scavenging on that DNS zone enabled otherwise they would have been automatically removed within a month or so of them being removed from the network.

Friday, January 22, 2016 4:53 PM

All replies

• It's safe to just delete them. These records would belong to domain controllers which are also global catalogue's. Each time you start a domain controller, and at frequent intervals, the domain controllers re-register any relevant DNS enties that they need to provide the service they do so you can't do any permanent damage.

I would imagine that you do not have DNS Scavenging on that DNS zone enabled otherwise they would have been automatically removed within a month or so of them being removed from the network.

Friday, January 22, 2016 4:53 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Could the above reply help you. If yes, you may mark it as answer, if you still have other questions, feel free to ask.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 25, 2016 1:29 AM