Developing android application in microsoft visual studio 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hii my self Prashant and i am a fresh developer in .net and my language is vb in .net and now i want to develop a android application in Microsoft visual Studio 2008 . so please help me how it is possible to build a android application in vb.net. please explain in detail

Prashant Sharma

• Moved by Carl Cai Monday, March 10, 2014 2:25 AM not supported
    Friday, March 7, 2014 7:49 PM

Answers

• Hi Prashant,

Please allow me to explain.  This is not how the forum works.

Most people will read your post and say to their self "This person has done no research on their own and is just looking for a handout".  Many will hit their back button at this point and you will get few replies.

To get the most benefit out of contributors of this site, you must put effort into your problem.  It has become well established that the amount of support you receive here is directly proportional to the amount of effort you put into asking your question.  In this case, a quick web search should answer your question: use Xamarin; that is the solution most people use to port .Net applications to IOS and Android.

http://blog.xamarin.com/porting-existing-.net-apps-to-ios/

By the way, VS2008 is going to be too old; you'll want to get Visual Studio 2013 so that you have access to NuGet and to ensure that any downloaded libraries will work (many may rely on 4.0 and 4.5 functionality).

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

• Proposed as answer by Carl Cai Monday, March 10, 2014 2:24 AM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Friday, April 11, 2014 5:48 PM
    Friday, March 7, 2014 9:45 PM
  • Phrasant,

Practically you cannot build a VB application for an Android operating system. Android is an operating system based on Linux under property of Google.

VB is a program language under property of Microsoft and almost solely build for the Windows operating system. There have been attempts to make a kind of VB for Mono (a Linux development environment like .Net), but I 'll not suggest you to go that route. 

Visual Studio 2008 is not for Mono, not for Linux and not for Android.

Success
    Cor

• Proposed as answer by Ashish Pandey Sunday, March 9, 2014 3:23 PM
    Saturday, March 8, 2014 9:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Prashant,

Please allow me to explain.  This is not how the forum works.

Most people will read your post and say to their self "This person has done no research on their own and is just looking for a handout".  Many will hit their back button at this point and you will get few replies.

To get the most benefit out of contributors of this site, you must put effort into your problem.  It has become well established that the amount of support you receive here is directly proportional to the amount of effort you put into asking your question.  In this case, a quick web search should answer your question: use Xamarin; that is the solution most people use to port .Net applications to IOS and Android.

http://blog.xamarin.com/porting-existing-.net-apps-to-ios/

By the way, VS2008 is going to be too old; you'll want to get Visual Studio 2013 so that you have access to NuGet and to ensure that any downloaded libraries will work (many may rely on 4.0 and 4.5 functionality).

Reed Kimble - "When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all"

• Proposed as answer by Carl Cai Monday, March 10, 2014 2:24 AM
    Friday, March 7, 2014 9:45 PM
  • Phrasant,

Practically you cannot build a VB application for an Android operating system. Android is an operating system based on Linux under property of Google.

VB is a program language under property of Microsoft and almost solely build for the Windows operating system. There have been attempts to make a kind of VB for Mono (a Linux development environment like .Net), but I 'll not suggest you to go that route. 

Visual Studio 2008 is not for Mono, not for Linux and not for Android.

Success
    Cor

• Proposed as answer by Ashish Pandey Sunday, March 9, 2014 3:23 PM
    Saturday, March 8, 2014 9:47 AM