Windows Update KB 943899 for Vista x64 failed and stopped Vista booting RRS feed

• Question

• In case anyone else has the same symptoms.

Windows update downloaded and attempted to install a few patches on my 64 bit Vista system yesterday. 

Windows failed to shut down completely on the post-install reboot and it wouldn't boot thereafter - hanging at the green progress bar boot screen.   Similarly booting in safe mode hung after displaying "loading CRCDISK.SYS".

Booting from install DVD and selecting repair diagnosed "A patch is preventing the system from starting" and allowed a system restore.

After reapplying updates one at a time, it turned out to be kb943899 - "An update that improves the performance, responsiveness, and reliability of Windows Vista " that was casuing the problem.

Jeff

Thursday, January 10, 2008 5:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Eric,

Thanks for this; though I haven't got a current problem. I posted some info about KB934899 in case anyone else had the same problem.

Fixing the problem was not possible using safe mode (see original post), but only via the recovery console.

I should have added, that after restoring to the pre-KB934899 state, KB934899 should be "hidden" in the Windows Update panel.

Jeff

Monday, January 14, 2008 11:27 AM
  • Postscript.

Although I hid kb943899 in January,  it appeared again in 'recommended updates' in mid Feb.  However this time, it installed with no problems.  I presume this is either kb943899 v2 or another patch has made it safe to install, and so WUS has un-hidden it.

Jeff
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:27 PM

All replies

• I confirm the problem : I have Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bits French Edition (an original one shipped with my Dell Inspiron 1520).

After the install of KB943899 and a reboot, my computer crashed (and didn't restart at all).

I have to use System Restoration to solve the problem and discard the update install.

It seems that several persons have the same problem (search KB 943899 on Google...) so install this update with care (or don't install it) !!!

Friday, January 11, 2008 11:40 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

Let us reboot the computer to the Safe Mode(press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode with Command Prompt.], and boot up.

Open Cotrol Panel and select "Programs and features", click "Installed Updates" in the left pane, uninstall update 943899 , then restart the computer to check whehter you can log in properly.

--------------------
    Regards,
    Eric Zhang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, January 14, 2008 9:49 AM
  • Hi Eric,

Thanks for this; though I haven't got a current problem. I posted some info about KB934899 in case anyone else had the same problem.

Fixing the problem was not possible using safe mode (see original post), but only via the recovery console.

I should have added, that after restoring to the pre-KB934899 state, KB934899 should be "hidden" in the Windows Update panel.

Jeff

Monday, January 14, 2008 11:27 AM
  •  

same issue (

although, i skip this fix but i would like to know when will Microsoft or Dell going to fix this problem?

~f

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:38 AM
  • I found the fix....

For Dell and HP you will want to turn off the compatibility mode for the SATA drive and your computer will boot fine.

Dell:

-Enter BIOS (F2)

-Onboard Devices

-Flash Cache Module

-Set to OFF

-SATA Operation

-Set to ATA

-Save settings and reboot

Jared

Monday, January 21, 2008 9:51 PM
  • Postscript.

Although I hid kb943899 in January,  it appeared again in 'recommended updates' in mid Feb.  However this time, it installed with no problems.  I presume this is either kb943899 v2 or another patch has made it safe to install, and so WUS has un-hidden it.

Jeff
    Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:27 PM
  •  

I've installed the "second release" of KB943899, and it crashed again my computer ! I have to use the system restore feature again to solve the problem. Very, very annoying !

Note : I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1520 computer.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 12:43 PM
  • What's funny is I never had this error until the new version of this update came out.  Now I can't boot my laptop with it installed.  I get a blue screen shortly after the Windows loading screen pops up with the little bars going across.

I also had to do a system restore to get back to a pre-943899 state.  And it seems to be working fine now.

I have a Dell Vostro 1500.  But I am not turning off SATA mode to fix this issue.  That's ridiculous that I would have to disable a function of my laptop because Microsoft broke it...

Anyone found a fix that doesn't disable SATA mode?
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 2:45 PM