Multiple Computers RRS feed

• Question

• I have multiple computers that I use for work and would like to be able to use the same software (MS Office 2016 and MS Project Professional 2019) on both computers using the same site license.  Is there a way to do this?  Evidently the Project Professional license I have was good for only 1 installation on 1 computer.  Shudder to think that I'll have to buy another license to reinstall if that machine ever has to be wiped and reinstalled...

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies that direct me to the proper license to buy.

Michael

Saturday, November 28, 2020 5:58 PM

All replies

• Best to go to store.microsoft.com and read about the current licensing terms for Microsoft 365 and Microsoft Project (distinct and separate products).

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Saturday, November 28, 2020 7:12 PM
  • Mike_in_FL,

Here's another thought. Although the license for Project Pro 2019 clearly states, "one instance of the software one one device", it also allows use on a second device, "using remote access technologies, so long as the software installed on the licensed device is not being used by another user simultaneously."

I can't speak for Office 2016 but check the license terms, it may say the same or equivalent thing.

John

Saturday, November 28, 2020 7:48 PM
  • Hi Michael

The general rule of thumb for Microsoft Licensing when it comes to business SKUs - is that a standalone software purchase is a per DEVICE license, and a cloud subscription is a per USER license.

For example, a capital purchase of MS Project Pro 2019 would permit installation on a single PC, whereas the equivalent cloud subscription licensing would permit installation on multiple devices.

If your PC ever has to be wiped or reinstalled, there is no reason that you cannot reinstall the software on another PC in replacement - just retain the license information. It's simply a 1:1 ratio of license:active installations.

In this scenario however, I would have thought the most sensible thing to do would be to install the software on the 'main' computer and leave it on - and then RDP in to that machine from your second one to use the software when needed.

I would have thought that this would be compliant as long as a) you remain the sole user b) the host machine is running Windows 10. However if this is incorrect someone please correct me.

All the best,

Dave @ Forever Group

Sunday, November 29, 2020 12:46 PM