none
How to delete the Old Replica (Old Backup) from Disk in DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have dpm 2010 server for Exchange 2010 messaging environment. Due to some disk space problem, I have changed the backup schedule from daily full backup to weekly full backup.

But still, My DPM 2010 server requires disk space in every 15 to 20 days.

Please let me know, How to check which is old replica (Old Backup) and how to remove the old replica from the disk.

Please help. I have to remove the old backup data from the backup. Let me know if you need any other details from my end.

This is urgent.

Regards

Manoj

Thursday, November 24, 2011 10:31 AM

Answers

• Hi,

OLD thread, so will be closing it, however, removing recovery points DOES NOT reclaim disk space that is usable in the DPM storage pool, it only frees up disk space on the recovery point volume so it does not need to grow further.  You must SHRINK the recovery point volume(s) if you want to reclaim space back in the dpm storage pool.

You can download the shrink-diskpart.zip file from the following location.  This may be updated at a later time and is supplied as-is.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=885774776d4f197a&resid=885774776D4F197A!120

It has three modes of operation and will prompt to select one during execution.

R = Report, S = Shrink with confirmation, A = Automatically Shrink all possible volumes:

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, July 7, 2012 2:31 PM

All replies

• Hi All,

I have dpm 2010 server for Exchange 2010 messaging environment. Due to some disk space problem, I have changed the backup schedule from daily full backup to weekly full backup.

But still, My DPM 2010 server requires disk space in every 15 to 20 days.

Please let me know, How to check which is old replica (Old Backup) and how to remove the old replica from the disk.

Please help. I have to remove the old backup data from the backup. Let me know if you need any other details from my end.

This is urgent.

Regards

Manoj

Hi Maboj,

Try running PruneShadowCopies.ps1 manually from PowerShell. This help determine what recovery points are old past the retention range and then remove them.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Friday, November 25, 2011 5:58 AM
  • Hi, Thanks for your reply. I have got the script and i run the script through powershell I am getting the below information.

Please let me know how to identify which is old replica and where to search and delete it.

Can you please guide me.

I have attached the and screenshots.

Regards

Manoj

Friday, November 25, 2011 11:53 AM
  • Hi, Thanks for your reply. I have got the script and i run the script through powershell I am getting the below information.

Please let me know how to identify which is old replica and where to search and delete it.

Can you please guide me.

I have attached the and screenshots.

Regards

Manoj

Hi Manoj,

In your screenshot it looks like you don't have any recovery points older then 2 days. Here is some info on how to get more information on your recovery points and go in and manually delete a recovery point.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399387.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399350.aspx

Video: http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/02/04/how-to-create-and-delete-recovery-points-for-dpm-via-powershell.aspx

http://dansadm.wordpress.com/2010/02/22/microsoft-dpm-server-does-not-remove-old-recovery-points-after-expiration-of-retention-period/

Friday, November 25, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Hi Buchatech,

Thanks a lot for your reply mail.

I have gone through these articles and video. I have some clarifications about recovery point.

I have configured DAG Protection Group with below settings.

Backup Synchronization Frequency : Every 6 hours

Express Full Backup : Mon & Friday Weekly

Backup Retention : 6 Days

When i am seeing the all Recovery point for one Mailbox Database, I am able to see the all recovery points in that.

Recovery point has been created for this database in every 6 hours and this recovery points are availble

days retenttion period. Is that correct  ? If Yes, So every 6 hours its sync with actual data and create recovery point right ?

So, So each time when recovery point is creating , it occupy 110 to 130 GB Disk space approximately. Is it right ?

What is the best practices if  I have three mailbox Servers with 8 databases per server and i have only 7 TB of disk space for DPM Backup.6

Monday, November 28, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Hi Buchatech,

Any Update ? I am expecting your reply.

Thanks in Advance.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 1:32 PM
  • Hi Buch,

I am expecting your reply mail.

I have gone through the articles and i found the solution to delete the recovery point manually.

I followed the below steps and I am able to remove the recovery points without any issue. but, removed recovery points is not removed from console. I double checked the same and tried twice.

Get-ProtectionGroup -DPMServerName tcsjndpm01
    $pg=Get-ProtectionGroup -DPMServerName tcsjndpm01
    $pg

$ds=Get-Datasource -ProtectionGroup $pg[4]
    $ds
    $rp=Get-RecoveryPoint -Datasource $ds[0]
    $rp
    Remove-RecoveryPoint $rp[0]
    $rp
    $rp  

Just wanted to know, whether recovery point deletion will take time remove it from console.

And also, Please let me know Recovery point used disk space will recliam it again to storage pool once we deleted the Old Recovery points.

Please help.

Thursday, December 1, 2011 2:54 PM
  • Hi Buch,

I am expecting your reply mail.

I have gone through the articles and i found the solution to delete the recovery point manually.

I followed the below steps and I am able to remove the recovery points without any issue. but, removed recovery points is not removed from console. I double checked the same and tried twice.

Get-ProtectionGroup -DPMServerName tcsjndpm01
    $pg=Get-ProtectionGroup -DPMServerName tcsjndpm01
    $pg

$ds=Get-Datasource -ProtectionGroup $pg[4]
    $ds
    $rp
    Remove-RecoveryPoint $rp[0]
    $rp
    $rp  

Just wanted to know, whether recovery point deletion will take time remove it from console.

And also, Please let me know Recovery point used disk space will recliam it again to storage pool once we deleted the Old Recovery points.

Please help.

Hi Manoj,

When you delete the old recovery points yes disk space should be re-claimed. The changes should reflect in the console. I have not seen that before. I will check further into this and will respond if I find the answer.

Friday, December 9, 2011 5:31 AM
  • HI,

I was removed my recovery point using this tutorial <  http://dansadm.wordpress.com/2010/02/22/microsoft-dpm-server-does-not-remove-old-recovery-points-after-expiration-of-retention-period/  >

and my dpm hasn't re-claimed disk space.

What should i do right now?

LMA

• Edited by madey1 Friday, June 1, 2012 11:33 AM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 11:26 AM
  • Manoj,

I am moving the thread to the DPM storage pool thread.  Thank you

Regards, A.Nadar, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, June 8, 2012 3:46 AM
  • Hi,

OLD thread, so will be closing it, however, removing recovery points DOES NOT reclaim disk space that is usable in the DPM storage pool, it only frees up disk space on the recovery point volume so it does not need to grow further.  You must SHRINK the recovery point volume(s) if you want to reclaim space back in the dpm storage pool.

You can download the shrink-diskpart.zip file from the following location.  This may be updated at a later time and is supplied as-is.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=885774776d4f197a&resid=885774776D4F197A!120

It has three modes of operation and will prompt to select one during execution.

R = Report, S = Shrink with confirmation, A = Automatically Shrink all possible volumes:

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, July 7, 2012 2:31 PM