Windows Steadystate 2.5 installer error RRS feed

• Question

• After successfully downloading the Steadystate 2.5 msi file from the website, I get an error when attempting to run it:

"The installation package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package."

I am running XP Pro with up-to-date service packs and security updates to 06/08/10.

• Changed type Sean Zhu - Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:00 AM
    • Changed type Leo Huang Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:18 AM
    Sunday, August 8, 2010 12:22 AM

Answers

• Thanks all for your input and suggestions. Unfortunately none of the methods worked, but I was able to finally install the software, simply by running the MSI file from the webpage rather than downloading it first.

Temperamental, I must say.

Thanks again - appreciated the assistance.

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:18 AM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Countach, it seems the issue is related to the package of Windows SteadyState 2.5 which you have downloaded. Please download Windows SteadyState 2.5 from this web page:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=d077a52d-93e9-4b02-bd95-9d770ccdb431&displaylang=en

Anymore, please make sure that the Windows Installer service is running.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Huang Monday, August 9, 2010 7:26 AM
    Monday, August 9, 2010 7:24 AM
  • Thanks Leo - tried the link you proposed, but same error - this is where I was d/l from in the first place.

How do I ensure that the windows Installer Service is running and not corrupt/damaged/correct version?

(as stated previously, Windows update does not advise any further updates - critical or otherwise)

Monday, August 9, 2010 8:43 AM
  • You can check in these following steps:

1 press the key win+R

2 input “services.msc” in blank and click “OK”

3 find the service names “Windows Installer” and double click it.

4 press “start”

Please note:

Windows  SteadyState support to Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition with Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed or Service Pack 3 installed.

By the way, does this issue appear only when you installing the Windows SteadyState?

Monday, August 9, 2010 8:53 AM
  • I have manually started Windows Installer as described, but same error.

Steadystate is the only program I am attempting to install at the moment...

Monday, August 9, 2010 10:04 AM
  • Countach,

Try downloading and reinstalling the SteadyState .msi again, maybe it got corrupted the first time you downloaded it? If not, try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175

Maybe your Windows Installer is corrupted.

HTH,

Philip

Complexity is the enemy of Security -- Steve Gibson
    Monday, August 9, 2010 7:30 PM
  • Hi, please try to delete the registry of Windows SteadyState and reinstall again. And can you tell me what is the platform of your Windows XP? There is a possible that Windows SteadyState 2.5 don’t support for you system.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:33 AM
  • Thanks all for your input and suggestions. Unfortunately none of the methods worked, but I was able to finally install the software, simply by running the MSI file from the webpage rather than downloading it first.

Temperamental, I must say.

Thanks again - appreciated the assistance.

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:18 AM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 2:30 AM