Windows xp nightly restarts RRS feed

• Question

• I have had it reported that windows xp at a particular sight has started restarting at night on users. these people usually leave the computer "Locked" when they go home. I have checked the logs and power from the server's UPS and there doesnt seem to be a power event to cause a restart. the computers do not report an unsafe shutdown.

Group Policies have been set to install updates at 11pm every night ( which is about when the computers restart) it has also been set to "Do not restart if a user is logged in." does anyone know the likely hood of this policy going screwy and just restarting the xp machines anyway?

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 11:10 PM

All replies

• I would say that the first thing to consider is to check whether or not the WSUS administrator had set a deadline when approving those restart-required updates.

If WSUS admin set the update approval deadline date and time when approving an update that requires a restart, once that deadline has passed, the auto-restart can no longer be postponed.  The system will restart at that deadline regardless of what the setting is for "No auto-restart with logged on users..."

See this article titled "Client Behavior with Update Deadlines"from TechNet:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708585(WS.10).aspx

which gives a few examples to illustrate various scenarios.

Let us know what you've figured out.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:54 AM