Update Time RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. We are using SteadyState to lockdown our public terminals in a Library setting. We would like to update the machines at a different time instead of on the hour. I posted this question with the Shared Computer Toolkit and it was reported back to me that they were working on in it for v.2. The Library closes everyday for 30 minutes at 9:30am and that would be a perfect time for us to do updates so that we do not disrupt our patrons. Any idea on how to change this? I noticed in the registry the time change is a single digit.
    Friday, July 13, 2007 1:31 PM

Answers

• Hello Helpdesk@esr,

Yes, in Windows SteadyState, we can schedule the windows update, to make your XP computer update at scheduled time you want. Even though you enable the protect the Hard Disk function on Windows SteadyState, the schedule update will still be applied to your XP.

1. Open the Windows SteadyState, click “Schedule Software Updates” in middle pane

2. Select “use Windows SteadyState to automatically download and install updates:” option, then, select the daily or weekly at a clock.

3. Click OK

Unfortunately, we cannot select half a clock as the schedule time, like 9:30. This is the designed behavior. As you may have noticed, the scheduled update time of SteadyState is stored in the following registry value:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Windows SteadyState\Parameters]

AutomaticUpdateTime   DWORD

By default, the schedule time is 3:00 AM and the corresponding AutomaticUpdateTime value is 0x00000003. We cannot set other kinds of schedule time. You may consider adjusting your library closure time to 9:00AM or 10:00 AM currently.

If it is desirable to have the ability to schedule time to minute, we will report this feature request to our product team. Hopefully, it can be included in the next versions of this product.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:16 AM

All replies

• Hello Helpdesk@esr,

Yes, in Windows SteadyState, we can schedule the windows update, to make your XP computer update at scheduled time you want. Even though you enable the protect the Hard Disk function on Windows SteadyState, the schedule update will still be applied to your XP.

1. Open the Windows SteadyState, click “Schedule Software Updates” in middle pane

2. Select “use Windows SteadyState to automatically download and install updates:” option, then, select the daily or weekly at a clock.

3. Click OK

Unfortunately, we cannot select half a clock as the schedule time, like 9:30. This is the designed behavior. As you may have noticed, the scheduled update time of SteadyState is stored in the following registry value:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Windows SteadyState\Parameters]

AutomaticUpdateTime   DWORD

By default, the schedule time is 3:00 AM and the corresponding AutomaticUpdateTime value is 0x00000003. We cannot set other kinds of schedule time. You may consider adjusting your library closure time to 9:00AM or 10:00 AM currently.

If it is desirable to have the ability to schedule time to minute, we will report this feature request to our product team. Hopefully, it can be included in the next versions of this product.

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:16 AM
  • Thanks. I was really hoping for this to be included in version 2. It's unfortunate that an exact time couldn't be set.
    Monday, July 16, 2007 5:26 PM
  • I do not know the answer to time but I can tell you what we do.

I have it set to update at 2:00 am (when we are closed) on Wednesday; I leave the computers turned on Tuesday night.  Come in on Wednesday and they are updated.

-j

Monday, July 16, 2007 7:34 PM
  •  

Hi Terrence Liu,

i have a question, when i schedule the time to updat the McAfee Dat file say @ midnite withe the WDP is turn on to delete all the changes at restarts.  Will it keep the new McAfee Dat file or not?  But, i will delete all the users profiles on the machine.

Thanks.

Tic1745

Friday, July 27, 2007 8:28 PM
  • Hi Customer,

No. If you schedule the McAfee update without using the “Schedule Software Updates” function in SteadyState when WDP is turn on, the update will be dropped after restart. I suggest we schedule the McAfee update in Windows SteadyState:

1. Open Windows SteadyState, click Schedule Software Updates

2. Select the option “Use Windows SteadyState to automatically download and install updates:”, then select time to do the windows update

3. Tick the option “Security Program Updates”, the Windows SteadyState will detect and get the McAfee in the update list.

4. Click OK to finish it.

After that, the McAfee will be update DAT file at the windows update time, and the update will be save to disk even though you enable the WDP.

Monday, July 30, 2007 6:20 AM
  • Hi,

I have one question on McAfee update, even i tick the option "Secruity Prgoram Updates", the Windows SteadyState cannot detect the McAfee program, i was using McAfee virus scan 8.5.

By the way, i have one more question, something i can set then user profile in Document settings after restart the PC?

Thank you so much !!

Have a nice day!!!

Sunday, October 21, 2007 3:16 AM
  • Hi Jason,

For the first issue, the latest version of security programs may not be detected by SteadyState. You can refer to Jan's post in the following thread:

Security program not detected

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1811683&SiteID=69

For the second issue, to avoid confusion, would you please create a new thread and provide more inforamtion about it? Thanks.

Best Regards,

Monday, October 22, 2007 6:50 AM