server 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to install IE 7 on my server 2008 R2...how do I do that??
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 1:15 AM

Answers

• Hi Dnationsr,

Why do you want to install IE 7 on Windows Server 2008 R2? Why wouldn’t IE 8 work on server?

If some websites only support IE 7, you can use the compatibility View in IE 8 to view these websites. For more information of the compatibility view of IE 8, please refer to the article below.

Introducing Compatibility View

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2008/08/27/introducing-compatibility-view.aspx

It is possible to uninstall IE 8 in Windows Server 2008 R2. You can follow the steps below to do so.

1. Click Start, and then right-click Command Prompt, and choose Run as administrator.
      Note If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    2. At the command prompt, type the following: dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64.
    3. When prompted to restart the computer, choose Yes.

if you remove Internet Explorer 8, you will have to install a third-party browser to be able to browse the Internet.

However, there seems to be no version of IE 7 is available for Windows Server 2008 R2. The only 64 bit version of IE 7 is supported on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x64 editions. I’m not sure whether it works on Windows Server 2008 R2. You may have a try. You can download it from the link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5BB6EBF0-86D0-4800-A1BA-5360F1D086C9&displaylang=en

Regards,

Karen Ji

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Karen Ji Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:35 AM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:09 AM

All replies

• I don't think you can back down from IE version 8 on Server 2008 R2.

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Saturday, July 24, 2010 2:59 AM
  • I would like to install IE 7 on my server 2008 R2...how do I do that??

Why would you want to do that? Everyone moves to more secure stuffs not less secure stuffs? Any reason for the downgrade? I'll really be glad to know!

You've only got one life; help as many people as you can, and enjoy it while it lasts.
    Sunday, July 25, 2010 3:18 PM
  • Hi Dnationsr,

Why do you want to install IE 7 on Windows Server 2008 R2? Why wouldn’t IE 8 work on server?

If some websites only support IE 7, you can use the compatibility View in IE 8 to view these websites. For more information of the compatibility view of IE 8, please refer to the article below.

Introducing Compatibility View

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2008/08/27/introducing-compatibility-view.aspx

It is possible to uninstall IE 8 in Windows Server 2008 R2. You can follow the steps below to do so.

1. Click Start, and then right-click Command Prompt, and choose Run as administrator.
      Note If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    2. At the command prompt, type the following: dism /online /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:Internet-Explorer-Optional-amd64.
    3. When prompted to restart the computer, choose Yes.

if you remove Internet Explorer 8, you will have to install a third-party browser to be able to browse the Internet.

However, there seems to be no version of IE 7 is available for Windows Server 2008 R2. The only 64 bit version of IE 7 is supported on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x64 editions. I’m not sure whether it works on Windows Server 2008 R2. You may have a try. You can download it from the link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5BB6EBF0-86D0-4800-A1BA-5360F1D086C9&displaylang=en

Regards,

Karen Ji

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ” This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Karen Ji Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:35 AM
    Monday, July 26, 2010 9:09 AM
  • Some third-party application suites are reported as only being compatible with Internet explorer 7 on Server 2008. For example.. AspenOne.. the set that brought me here.
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:37 PM
  • Are you talking about client access? If the vendor has specified IE7 installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 then they made a mistake.

Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:51 PM
  • http://www.aspentech.com/solutions/industry_solutions/index.cfm  

That's the software I was referring to.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:03 PM
  • Not familiar with it but it doesn't really matter. If the vendor has specified IE7 installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 then they made a mistake.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:14 PM
  • May I ask for an explanation behind you're reasoning?
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:15 PM
  • IE7 was never a part of the Windows Server 2008 operating system. You will more than likely break some things if you manage to get it to install.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 9:36 PM
  • I'll bring that up. Thanks Dave!
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 10:05 PM
  • You're welcome.

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 10:07 PM