MOSS 2007 response times going up and down each night RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Our MOSS 2007 sharepoint site response time goes up and down about 2 seconds exactly at the same time in the evening. Any idea where to look at? We have two frontend servers. I can't see anything special in the event viewer at that time, or in the sharepoint logs. This has been ongoing for a long time, at least 2 months. Also rebooting the servers has no effect on this. 

Any idea where to look for or how to catch this? Normally the response time goes up or down and as you can see from the attached image, it is not random but goes to same level every few days. 

I have also monitored this directly to both frontends and at the same time to the load balancer, and they all report the same times (not for example that frontend 1 would be 2,5sec and frontend 2 would be 4,5 but instead they are both either 2,5 or 4,5 depending on  the day)

We have Windows 2003R2 SP2 with MOSS 2007 with cumulative updates from 2009 august (I think). Our database is SQL Server 2008 R2. 

Would be really grateful for any ideas.

Timo

• Edited by elaintahra Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:52 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 6:45 AM

Answers

• The first thing I would check are the crawl logs to see what's happening with search indexing...that can be one of the triggers ro slower performance that recoccurs on schedule.  Next I would review the timer service - yo umight want to turn up the verbosity on the diagnisotic logs in Central Admin to see oif the ULS logs catch more information on what's happening at that time.

Good luck!

Chris

Chris McNulty MCSE/MCTS/MSA/MVTSP | blog http://www.chrismcnulty.net/blog | twitter @cmcnulty2000 Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Wednesday, December 7, 2011 11:13 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:00 PM
  • Hi,

using perfmon counters check the connections and current ISAPI extension requests.

These will affect the performnce, also check if any timer job is running at that time or not by going into central admin--> Operations--> Timer job status.

Also check if crawls or profile import are running or not. I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:53 AM

All replies

• The first thing I would check are the crawl logs to see what's happening with search indexing...that can be one of the triggers ro slower performance that recoccurs on schedule.  Next I would review the timer service - yo umight want to turn up the verbosity on the diagnisotic logs in Central Admin to see oif the ULS logs catch more information on what's happening at that time.

Good luck!

Chris

Chris McNulty MCSE/MCTS/MSA/MVTSP | blog http://www.chrismcnulty.net/blog | twitter @cmcnulty2000 Microsoft Community Contributor Award 2011
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:00 PM
  • Hi,

using perfmon counters check the connections and current ISAPI extension requests.

These will affect the performnce, also check if any timer job is running at that time or not by going into central admin--> Operations--> Timer job status.

Also check if crawls or profile import are running or not. I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:53 AM