none
Migrate VM

Question

• Hi Experts i have two hyperv nodes in failover cluster manager. i have hardware issue on node1, i have 4 virtual machines residing on hyperv Node1, i want to migrate to Node2. When i right click virtual machines-Properties- i can see the option Preferred owners. i can see node1 and node2 but none of them is selected. When i migrate them to node2 l i dont want them to failback until i do it since i will be rebooting node1 mulitiple times. please guide me on this
    • Edited by Risingflight Tuesday, December 4, 2018 6:03 AM d
    Tuesday, December 4, 2018 6:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Once you have migrated your virtual machines (VMs) to your node2, make sure to pause the node1 cluster node.

You can do this by right clicking it and then select Pause.
    If you want to make sure nothing is left on node1, you can select Pause > Drain nodes, this will do exactly what is says, leaving nothing left on the node1.

Pausing a cluster node is optimal for when having a scheduled maintenance, when a cluster node is paused it is not possible for any resources to be moved to the paused cluster node, until you resume the cluster node again (right click cluster node > Resume).

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 7:31 AM
  • Hi,

Preferred owners is just to have the priority set during the failover, i.e. on which node the VM should come online immediately after a failure. If it is not selected, it is fine. But make sure that both the nodes are possible owners of the resources.

Secondly, you can customize the failback option if and only if you badly need that. But generally not recommended

Regards,
    Bala

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 8:04 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

You can right-click the VM, select Properties, select General, check NODE2 and select Failover, and check Prevent failback. just like below:

Hope this information can help you, if you have any question, please feel free to let me know.

Thanks for your time and have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 8:58 AM
  • Hi,

This is Daniel and wish you all the best!

May I know whether your problem is solved? If you have any question, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Daniel

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 1:56 AM
  • Hi,

Hope you are doing well!

I haven't received your reply for a while, how is the problem now, if your problem is solved, would you please share your experience with us? if there is anything need to help, please let me know.

In addition, if anyone’s reply is helpful to your problem, please mark it as an answer at your convenience so that other people wo have similar problem can refer to. I appreciate your cooperation!

Best Regards,

Daniel

Monday, December 10, 2018 2:13 AM