none
Parse HTML from Multiple Lines of Text RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know if there's a way to extract the text from a Multi-line text enterprise custom field? I'm using the OData feed to read this field into an Excel report, and the text is being returned (from Project Online) with HTML. I'm trying to either retain the formatting in Excel or strip the HTML from the field value.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Roland

Wednesday, February 4, 2015 8:45 PM

Answers

• Hi Roland,

See this similar thread, advicing to create a macro.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

• Marked as answer by Roland G29 Thursday, February 5, 2015 2:13 PM
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:55 AM
  • Currently there is no nice solution to this. Hopefully there will a be solution soon but as it stands you could probably create a macro to remove the tags in the Excel client but then the report will not refresh in the Excel Web App / Excel Online.

Another option is to create the report using JavaScript and add it to a page in PWA, you then have full control over how you handle the HTML, you can either keep the HTML and render it or remove the tags..

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Thursday, February 5, 2015 10:49 AM

All replies

• Hi Roland,

See this similar thread, advicing to create a macro.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Thursday, February 5, 2015 9:55 AM
  • Currently there is no nice solution to this. Hopefully there will a be solution soon but as it stands you could probably create a macro to remove the tags in the Excel client but then the report will not refresh in the Excel Web App / Excel Online.

Another option is to create the report using JavaScript and add it to a page in PWA, you then have full control over how you handle the HTML, you can either keep the HTML and render it or remove the tags..

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Thursday, February 5, 2015 10:49 AM
  • Hi Guillaume/Paul,

Thanks for the info! I'm avoiding the macro route because if doing so we would lose the ability to refresh the Excel report using Excel Web App refresh. I tried the PowerPivot route using a calculated column, but as you can imagine that is not going to work 100% of the time. I'll have to see if we can simply change the data type to single line of text. 

Thanks,

Roland

Thursday, February 5, 2015 2:17 PM