Verify if a cluster validation report has been executed or not using PowerShell RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I searched the forums for an answer but even if there many similar ones, not exactly the answer I was searching for though... so my question is:

How can I check / verify with PowerShell if a cluster validation report has already been run on the cluster? I know the whole test-cluster cmdlets thingy, but really gives me opportunity to execute the acutal report, not check if it has been previously executed! In my case, when performing the SQL installations (on a cluster), the SQL setup will use some API for determining / verify that a validation report has been issues succesfully before actually allowing the SQL installation to pass without complaining.... so, since I want to do everything by using scripts, how the hell do I write code that can determine if a succesfull validation report has already been committed previous to my SQL setup. I run Windows 2008R2 clusters, code example (thoughts) are right now handled in PowerShell or in C#. I cant find an example on this question though.... thanks in advance guys!

Since I know they do the check from within the SQL setup, I know it can be done, it is just; HOW?

br4tt3

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 12:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

A successful validation report had already been committed previously to computers doesn't mean you don't need to run the validation  when you deploy the cluster. If something had been changed since the previous validation, you may get some issues when you create the cluster.

Perform a validation will not cost you too much time, why not do it once.

Best Regards,
    Vincent Hu

• Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Monday, February 13, 2012 9:17 AM
    Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Easiest way would be to just check the C:\Windows\Cluster\Reports folder. This keeps a record of all validation reports that have been run on the cluster.

Visit my blog about multi-site clustering

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,

A successful validation report had already been committed previously to computers doesn't mean you don't need to run the validation  when you deploy the cluster. If something had been changed since the previous validation, you may get some issues when you create the cluster.

Perform a validation will not cost you too much time, why not do it once.

Best Regards,
    Vincent Hu

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:06 PM
  • Easiest way would be to just check the C:\Windows\Cluster\Reports folder. This keeps a record of all validation reports that have been run on the cluster.

Visit my blog about multi-site clustering

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:35 PM
  • Guys, the question wasn't answered, as stated SQL Server prior to install confirms that there are no errors in the cluster validation, so the activity is performed programmatically.  What he was looking for was the method to programmatically check if the most recent validation has succeeded.

Henry Rooney www.wardyit.com Please leave feedback

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 11:05 AM