App Path for "winword.exe" virtualized RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

You know if you can make after creating the following registry key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\WINWORD.EXE] pointing to the application shortcut "C:\program files\microsoft Application Virtualization client\sfttray.exe" /launch "app name", third party applications who search the path for "WINWORD.EXE" in the registry key, will be able to launch the app virtualized?

I appliedthis andfor exampleif I go tostart\run andtry to run"winword.exe"does not work.

any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 12:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your answer znack, at the end i decided to apply the following workaround:

1. From the server management console, i added a new shortcut to each of the virtualized Office components pointing to a local path, that no user can touch it.
    2. Then, i added to the App-V client unattend installation script the following parameters to add to the computer's local registry:
    • reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\powerpnt.exe" /ve /d "the local path where you point from the management server console\Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007"
    • reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\excel.exe" /ve /d "the local path where you point from the management server console\Microsoft Office Excel 2007"
    • reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\word.exe" /ve /d /ve /d "the local path where you point from the management server console\Microsoft Office Word 2007"

what i get with this, is that if a third party application seek to winword.exe, excel.exe or powerpnt.exe from the "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths"registration key, will run the shortcut to the virtualized application located in the path defined from the App-V management server console or during the sequencing process of the application.

Kirry

• Marked as answer by Kirryto Friday, March 9, 2012 1:35 PM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 1:35 PM

All replies

• What do you want to achieve?
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 3:55 PM
  • Hi,

what i want to do is that if a third party application searches the path for "winword.exe" , the third party app must run the virtualized app, in this case Word.

Regards

Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:10 PM
  • Can't you specify "sfttray.exe /launch "Word 2010.xxxxx" into the 3rd party app as default editor (this depends on the application of course).
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 5:04 PM
  • I would do if I were the developer of the application...this would be the only solution? I mean, the developer of the app changes the way for open winword.exe?, there´s no way to make it works writing the route for the virtualized app in the key "app paths" in the registry??
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 5:26 PM
  • Hello,

Since AppPath is part of the native operating system and App-V is all about seperating the native operating system and application - this is a behavior that is per design and expected.

Perhaps someone redesigns it at later stage - but at the moment App-V isolates the application. Ben did offer a viable choice though

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Friday, March 9, 2012 7:21 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your answer znack, at the end i decided to apply the following workaround:

1. From the server management console, i added a new shortcut to each of the virtualized Office components pointing to a local path, that no user can touch it.
    2. Then, i added to the App-V client unattend installation script the following parameters to add to the computer's local registry:
    • reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\powerpnt.exe" /ve /d "the local path where you point from the management server console\Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2007"
    • reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\excel.exe" /ve /d "the local path where you point from the management server console\Microsoft Office Excel 2007"
    • reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\word.exe" /ve /d /ve /d "the local path where you point from the management server console\Microsoft Office Word 2007"

what i get with this, is that if a third party application seek to winword.exe, excel.exe or powerpnt.exe from the "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths"registration key, will run the shortcut to the virtualized application located in the path defined from the App-V management server console or during the sequencing process of the application.

Kirry

• Marked as answer by Kirryto Friday, March 9, 2012 1:35 PM
    Friday, March 9, 2012 1:35 PM