no .bat file along this file chain "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts" RRS feed

• Question

• I need to be able to run a .bat but am unable to. when clicking on a .bat file a pop up notifies me that my Pc can't run .bat files I looked on the interwebs and found some people that had accidentally made .bat's open with notepad and could not run them their fix was to go to this location in the registry "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.BAT\UserChoice" and delete UserChoice I have followed this path and there is no .bat key. 

Please help

Friday, February 17, 2017 1:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Bluefire4691,

According to your description, it could be related to the file association of .bat files or something conflicting when you open .bat files.

Take a backup of your registry key and delete the entire ".bat" not only UserChoise subkey.

Also we could check if there is a registry path in the below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.bat

If it exists, we could try delete any entries under the OpenWithList subkey.

If the issue still insists, we could copy and paste to a text file called "restore.reg", and double click it to merge into the registry. It is provided by Factor Mystic in the link below.

http://superuser.com/questions/53948/how-do-i-restore-bat-files-association-with-the-system-make-them-run-when-doub

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 20, 2017 8:05 AM
  • Hi Bluefire4691,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 8:51 AM