Protected Registry Entries RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone know how to change the protected registry entries within Vista?

If you don't realize what I am talking about, try to change the %systemroot% registry type settings from c:\windows... to something else inside Vista. Even with UAP/UAC disabled the changes don't stick. My attempts with local registry editors (with administrative privileges) and remote registry editors have been unsuccessful.
    Tuesday, December 26, 2006 1:39 PM

Answers

• yes there ARE protected areas of the registry, what are you tring to do, and why

then may will be able to help you

Thursday, December 28, 2006 11:57 AM

All replies

• yes there ARE protected areas of the registry, what are you tring to do, and why

then may will be able to help you

Thursday, December 28, 2006 11:57 AM
  • I am trying to get a working Vista build in a systemroot other than c:\windows. I expect this isn't a supported configuration today, but my network and administrative tools have been built around using a different %systemroot% parameter in all previous windows versions, among other reasons.

I realize that the best way to do this would be with the WAIK and BDD XImage tools, before installing. But I have run into trouble there so I thought that since I have a copy of the systemroot folder in the place I want it already, I might be able to get a working WIM by simply search and replacing the systemroot references in the protected registry locations.

I am happy to access the registry from PE or another partition install, but I can't change them all by hand.

Thursday, December 28, 2006 1:30 PM