Can you customize how Word templates are displayed? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I want to organise the templates displayed when File|New is selected for my workgroup. Is it possible put some of the templates that come with word inside a folder e.g. “word templates” and display some of my templates (currently in the folder “my templates”) This would mean the templates displayed would be relevant to the business rather than generic ones that had to be modified?

• Moved by Cindy Meister MVP Wednesday, January 5, 2011 3:59 PM can't be solved using "Developer" techniques (From:Word for Developers)
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 2:49 PM

Answers

• As there's nothing for this in the object model and I know of no way to do it, I'm going to move your message to the Word IT Pro forum. If there's anyway to affect the display of the contents of this dialog box, via a group policy, for example, this would be the place to get that information.
    Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Jennifer Zhan Tuesday, January 18, 2011 5:31 AM
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Hi

You can create folders within the designated template folders to organise your templates.  You'll find the template locations in Tools > Options (Pre 2007) or File/Office button > Options > Advanced in the newer versions, under File Locations.  When you have populated sub folders thay will appear as Tabs in the Dialog when selecting the template to base your new document on.

However in 2010 for example the majority of the Backstage version of File New is occupied by templates that are retrievable from Office.com so your restructuring will only appear when using the My Templates option.

Hope this helps

G North MMI
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 8:40 PM

All replies

• As there's nothing for this in the object model and I know of no way to do it, I'm going to move your message to the Word IT Pro forum. If there's anyway to affect the display of the contents of this dialog box, via a group policy, for example, this would be the place to get that information.
    Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Hi

You can create folders within the designated template folders to organise your templates.  You'll find the template locations in Tools > Options (Pre 2007) or File/Office button > Options > Advanced in the newer versions, under File Locations.  When you have populated sub folders thay will appear as Tabs in the Dialog when selecting the template to base your new document on.

However in 2010 for example the majority of the Backstage version of File New is occupied by templates that are retrievable from Office.com so your restructuring will only appear when using the My Templates option.

Hope this helps

G North MMI
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 8:40 PM