Icon on Thumbnail RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to get .AVI files to show the File icon on the thumbnail. Above is an example of what I am currently seeing. The left two are good, MKV and MP4 files, the right two are AVI files. My question is how can I get them the same view. AVI files default open program is the same, windows media center so why is this happening ?
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 4:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This may be related to a corrupted registry, you may refer to the following thread:

Thumbnails won't work with .AVI files in windows 7.

Alex

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Bone24 Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:26 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:39 AM

All replies

• I don't have an answer for you, but I can confirm seeing similar things on an otherwise well-setup system on which everything works...

I happen to have Windows Media Player set to open .wmv, .mp4, .avi, etc. files.

The WMP overlay icon shows on .mp4, .mpg, and even .mov files, but not on .AVI files.   As an example...

-Noel

Monday, November 28, 2011 7:32 PM
  • Thanks, I know, very strange. It use to be there, but not now ?

Cheers

Monday, November 28, 2011 11:33 PM
  • Hi,

This may be related to a corrupted registry, you may refer to the following thread:

Thumbnails won't work with .AVI files in windows 7.

Alex

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:39 AM
  • I don't think the term "corrupted registry" may be quite the proper choice of words here...   But you're implying something that's been installed or reconfigured after Windows was first set up is responsible, and I have to say I agree with that.  I just tried looking at the same files with Explorer on a old, clean copy of Windows 7 (I have such a VM for testing) an the thumbnails and icon overlays showed properly even for one of the old AVI files not showing properly above.

Since I have systems on which the thumbnails show properly and others on which they don't, out of curiosity I'm investigating the differences between the registries.  Perhaps I can discover what app or update caused the loss of the interpretation of the AVI contents.

-Noel

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Actually, it gets even more complicated...

The above trial, in which I COULD see the thumbnail and overlay for 10C.avi was with a 32 bit Windows 7 setup.

With Windows 7 x64 I was NOT able to see the thumbnail for 10C, even though I reverted back to an old, virgin installation.

I don't know that much about video, but isn't AVI just a wrapper format, and a codec is required to see the contents?  10C DOES play on Windows 7 x64 Media Player, but that's a 32 bit app.  Could this just be a situation where there is no 64 bit codec available?

Windows 8 x64 Explorer could not see the thumbnail either.

-Noel

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:03 PM
  • thanks noel, it worked with the thread with alex, fixing the regedit.

Thanks so much for your help

• Unmarked as answer by Bone24 Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:26 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:26 AM
  • Do you have a 64 bit OS?  If so, that would imply those registry entries are never set up properly to begin with, since I could reproduce the problem even on a virgin Windows 7 installation.

-Noel

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:50 PM
  • Windows 7 64 bit
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:19 PM