none
Can I set the Start Bar color in Server 2012R2 & 2016? RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy,

We have servers in various data centers and the suggestion was made that it'd be great if we could use Group Policy to set the color of the start bar to be different to reflect which data center we were connected to.  This would help people from accidentally doing something in one area when they thought they were on a different VM at the time.

We've looked around but didn't come up with a way to do that so I'm hoping 'm just missing it but it is possible.  Can anyone tell me if this is something we can do?

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 8:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    As far as I know, there might be no built-in method to accomplish this via group policy.
    If you want to clear which server the user is connecting, maybe, you could set the different wallpapers for different servers, it is could be done via group policy. You could follow: https://prajwaldesai.com/deploy-desktop-background-wallpaper-using-group-policy/
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:48 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to clear which server the user is connecting, maybe, you could set the different wallpapers for different servers, it is could be done via group policy.
    Yeah, we thought about doing the background but we generally have programs open all the time so we never see the background.  We were looking for something that is always visible on the screen.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:00 PM
  • Hi,

Maybe, you could have a try to configure legal notices on domain computers via group policy: Interactive Logon : Message text for users attempting to log on.

In the message text, you could state that which server is connected to by the user when the user log in. please follow the article as below to see if it helps:

https://prajwaldesai.com/how-to-configure-legal-notices-on-domain-computers-using-group-policy/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best regards,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 26, 2016 1:34 AM
  • Hi,

Maybe, you could have a try to configure legal notices on domain computers via group policy: Interactive Logon : Message text for users attempting to log on.

In the message text, you could state that which server is connected to by the user when the user log in. please follow the article as below to see if it helps:

We know which server we're remoting into when we're doing it.  The issue is that if I'm remoted into 6 server at once, it's easy to lose track of which one is the active window and could lead to someone doing something when they're not in the window they think they are in.
    Monday, December 26, 2016 5:21 AM
  • Hi,

Instead of setting color for start menu, you could set different color for taskbar on different servers, when user log on , then the user will figure out which server is connected based on the color of taskbar.

If it is working for you, you could follow the article as below to have a try via modifying registry: http://winaero.com/blog/windows-10-different-own-color-for-taskbar/

Best regards,

Wendy

Wednesday, December 28, 2016 8:35 AM
  • That is exactly what I want to do but those instructions are for Windows 10 and I'm pretty sure they don't work in Server 2012 R2.  Don't know about 2016.  I think they might work but you have to install some Roles/Features to turn on the Customer Experience settings or something like that.
    Wednesday, December 28, 2016 3:02 PM
  • Hi,

So it is always suggested to test fully in the lab environment before deploying into production environment.

Best regards,

Wendy

Monday, January 2, 2017 1:49 AM