Unable to logon to O365 using BPOS credentials RRS feed

• Question

• I got a transition alert and have be prepping as instructed.  The instructions tell you to logon to O365 using your existing administrator ID.   I am not able to logon to O365 using the administrator ID.

Later in the process you are instructed to change your BPOS password so that it replicates to O365.  After changing the password I am not able to logon to O365 as that user with the new password.

Can't continue transition without logging on.  Help!

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 10:41 PM

Answers

• Finally got a call this morning.....

As we discussed this morning, there was an issue with passwords that were changed in the BPOS environment were not being synchronized over to the Office 365 environment. This issue was resolved yesterday.

You mentioned that you opened a service request in the past for this issue. This behavior was caused by your BPOS organization was not synchronized over from BPOS to Office 365, so your organization did not yet exist in Office 365.

Now that both of these issues are fixed I am finally able to login

Note I used the powershell command line to change my password and that worked.

• Marked as answer by VirtualMIS Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:02 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

we recently recieved a notice to prepare for transition by 10/27.  In it I am instructed to change my password then log in to the portal.microsoftonline.com to download Lync software.

How long after a pwd change does it take before I can login?  I'm still getting an error after a day.

Thanks,

Al

Al
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:41 PM
  • Day 2 and still can not log in.  Instructions in the transition guide seem to be wrong.

Not sure what to tell customers when they start asking about this.

Al

Al
    Friday, September 30, 2011 8:19 PM
  • What section of the world are you in?  We are located in Southeastern US and we have not recieved any communication from Microsoft.  We are ready for  365.  We HATE the sign in client.
    ------------------- Reitzel Technology www.reitzeltechnology.com
    Monday, October 3, 2011 11:32 AM
  • Hi Alan,

We are in US, NH to be exact.  I got the first real transition notivication last week stating:

Be ready for Transition by

10/27/2011

Transition timeframe

10/28/2011—01/31/2012

and some basic instructions to change password then login to the new 365 portal.  Still can't log in.

Al

Al
    Monday, October 3, 2011 12:36 PM
  • You'd think that us existing customers would have been the 1st ones to transition to Office 365.  One thing I like about 365 as I don't have to configure machines anymore.  We have an Active Directory server so I just specifiy the email address in AD and when they launch outlook it autodiscovers.
    ------------------- Reitzel Technology www.reitzeltechnology.com
    Monday, October 3, 2011 8:00 PM
  • We have the same issue.  We receivied the transition alert, but are not able to logon to O365.
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 8:15 PM
  • I'm also having the same issue.
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 9:33 PM
  • We are having the same problem here, using either an admin user or THE admin user.

Also, where can we adjust the transition date? 

Thursday, October 6, 2011 10:07 PM
  • Same here, tried both ID's
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 11:09 PM
  • MICROSOFT --- How about an answer??????!!!!!

Having the same problem here. Pretty useless preparation instructions if you can't access anything prior to the transition.

Nathan B
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 11:21 PM
  • I have the same issue.

I opened a Support Request with BPOS and they told me that this email was sent in error and I would receive an updated email with the correct information soon.

The cause of the issue is that we don't have access to the O365 Portal until we have completed the transition.

It's a bit of Chicken and Egg.

- Peter

Friday, October 7, 2011 8:18 AM
  • I can confirm RintPete's answer as I have been told exactly that through a service request. In addition, they said that both services would be available concurrently so the user transtion takes place AFTER the transition date set by Microsoft, not before as stated in the transition alert email.

Kit

Friday, October 7, 2011 8:57 AM
  • You won't be able to log in to Office 365 as an admin, just an end-user. The privileges for an end-user with admin privileges will just be end-user privileges. Microsoft will retain administrative control of the Office 365 tenant until after transition. This is some useful feedback, something we will consider including in future communications. I've passed this feedback on to the team sending out communications.

Beyond that, I'm noticing that many of you are partners. There is an issue with sync'ing passwords for partner tenants, and we resolved this for the large majority of partner tenants this week. Please give it another go.

If you're still having trouble, I do apologize. I will re-post when we've resolved the issue for the remaining impacted partners.

Mike O'Neill, Product Manager: BPOS to Office 365 Transition
    Friday, October 7, 2011 4:50 PM
  • Getting the same issue still as an end user changed bpos password an unable to login to portal

location emea

ready for transtion date 27/10/2011

Thanks

Friday, October 7, 2011 6:03 PM
  • Yes, I am a partner.  I am working at a distinct disadvantage trying to support new O365 clients while I am still running on BPOS.  Partners should have been transitioned first. !!!

I tried logging on to the portal site again with both admin and regular users.  It still does not work so the problem is not resolved.

The email that I recieved clearly stated that I should "Be ready for Transition by 10/27/2011".  Three tasks are required to be completed by that date.

1) Update DNS records - DONE

2) Download and install Lync client - Downloaded with another account. - WORKAROUND DONE

3) Run the Online Desktop Setup - Cannot download setup and must logon to run it. - NO WORKAROUND!

It is very frustrating to see that this transition is taking so long and is failing for the population of users that need it the most.  Way to rally your partners to the cause!

Matt

Friday, October 7, 2011 9:15 PM
  • I am also a partner and cannot logon to the site.

Ready for transition date: 27/10/2011

/ Anders

Anders Månsson Senior Executive Consultant MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:22 PM
  • The password sync issue should be resolved for all but a handful of partner tenants.

Mike O'Neill, Product Manager: BPOS to Office 365 Transition
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:42 PM
  • It still does not work for me.  I don't know how you define a "handful" so I don't know if you are making progress.  All I know is that it doesn't seem to work for the partners who have checked in here.  What distinguishes those partners for whom this has worked versus those of us for whom it fails?  When can we expect a resolution to the problem?

Matt

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 8:14 PM
  • Are you sure you are really trying to login with the same cresentials as you have in BPOS (e.g. fistname.lastname@yourcompanyname.com)??  I was first trying with firstname.lastname@tenantname.onmicrosoft.com (only because we used such credentials during the trial). That obviously didn't work. Then I noticed my mistake and tried with my BPOS credentials. Works fine. I'm not partner.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:45 AM
  • It works for us now. (2011-10-12)

Partner: Yes

Ready for transition date: 27/10/2011

/ Anders

Anders Månsson Senior Executive Consultant MCITP: Enterprise Messaging Administrator MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Now I am getting the following message in Lync:

I have run the "Install Lync 2010" and then the "Microsoft Online Desktop Setup" and now I cannot logon to Lync:

Cannot sign in to Lync
    Cannot sign in because the server is temporary unavailable. If the problem continues, please contact your support team

:-(

By the way the "Early Access Transition Guide" has some errors. When running the "Microsoft Online Desktop Setup" the guide says: "The Office 365 Desktop Setup application will start. Select Microsoft Outlook and Lync. Microsoft Sharepoint will be configured after transition. Click "Continue" to start the configuration.

I cannot click "Microsoft Outlook". The only application that I can select is "Microsoft Lync"

Another error in the instruction is that 5.3 and 5.4 should change place. The dialog requesting to run the Office365 Desktop Setup appears before the "Office 365 Credentials" dialog.

/ Anders

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:17 AM
  • Now I am getting the following message in Lync:

I have run the "Install Lync 2010" and then the "Microsoft Online Desktop Setup" and now I cannot logon to Lync:

Cannot sign in to Lync
    Cannot sign in because the server is temporary unavailable. If the problem continues, please contact your support team

:-(

By the way the "Early Access Transition Guide" has some errors. When running the "Microsoft Online Desktop Setup" the guide says: "The Office 365 Desktop Setup application will start. Select Microsoft Outlook and Lync. Microsoft Sharepoint will be configured after transition. Click "Continue" to start the configuration.

I cannot click "Microsoft Outlook". The only application that I can select is "Microsoft Lync"

Another error in the instruction is that 5.3 and 5.4 should change place. The dialog requesting to run the Office365 Desktop Setup appears before the "Office 365 Credentials" dialog.

/ Anders

Regarding Lync: My bad... The DNS entrys has not been updated yet.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:23 AM
  • We must be one of the handfull, still cannot login to portal using our BPOS creds.

we are a silver partner in the US.

Al

Al
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:34 PM
  •  

I am also a partner and cannot login to the Office 365 customer portal... Any news on the fix yet???

Thanks,

Elaine

Elaine Burrows
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:15 PM
  • Called MS this am and got an update.  The password sync and account generation shoul be working for thoes who recieved the 'Get Ready' email.

The guide is somewhat confusing with instructions say to 'Reset' the password means go into BPOS admin site and Reset the user's password and get a temp password.  Simply changing a password will not work.

Also the sync could take up to 24 hrs but 4 hrs should be enough.

I haven't confirmed, waiting for the sync.  Will follow up later if I can then login.

Al

Al
    • Proposed as answer by Alfontz Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:57 PM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:42 PM
  • That is it, use the BPOS admin control panel to reset passwords, change the temp password as ususal, wait and then login to O365.

Al
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:56 PM
  • I did a password reset on one of the accounts and am still not able to logon.  It has been about 4 hours since the password reset and I cannot logon to O365.   I will try it again after 24 hours but it is not looking good so far.

Matt

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 11:14 PM
  • Hi Michael,

I am having the same issue with trying to login to portal.mcirosoftonline.com.  I am supposed to be preppared for transition 11/04/2011 but cannot get in to start prepping my peoples systems.  Is there any way around the login issue yet?

Thanks

Mike

Michael Strange
    Thursday, October 13, 2011 10:42 PM
  • I just placed a call to the O365 transition support team at Microsoft.  They didn't really have an answer or explanation for what it going on.  He just said that the preparation steps have not been completed and they are due to be completed by 10/15 so try it again after that date.

We'll see.

Matt

Thursday, October 13, 2011 11:32 PM
  • I had to update my password through the BPOS admin site in order to get the O365 portal login to work.  Updating it through the sign-in app won't do the trick.  Hopefully this helps someone...

Bosko

Friday, October 14, 2011 1:54 AM
  • I changed my password in the BPOS Admin Site.
    I still cannot Log in.
    My Transition Date is Oct 27th
    This is becoming a farce.

Monday, October 17, 2011 8:34 AM
  • Well 10/15 has past and it still does not work.  I did a password reset in BPOS admin and I still cannot logon.  Clearly, the online guys still have problems with this.  I hate getting the run around but I guess I will have to call Tech Support again.

Matt

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:46 AM
  • I too was told it would work after the 15th, and it does not.

I have another case open and am now waiting for any kind of response.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 3:48 PM
  • Appears we are in the same boat as most of you.  We received transition instructions to be ready by 10/27/2011, but cannot log into portal site.  Have submitted a ticket to MSFT and will see what happens.

We are located in the North America -> US -> Kansas region if that matters to anyone.  Any input from MSFT on this site or through the online services ticket would be great.

Thanks!

llogan
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 8:32 PM
  • I finally got it working.

I reset my password in the Single Sign-In Services App, instead of BPOS Admin. I could then finally log into the Portal.

- Peter

• Proposed as answer by RintPete Tuesday, October 25, 2011 12:11 PM
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Finally got a call this morning.....

As we discussed this morning, there was an issue with passwords that were changed in the BPOS environment were not being synchronized over to the Office 365 environment. This issue was resolved yesterday.

You mentioned that you opened a service request in the past for this issue. This behavior was caused by your BPOS organization was not synchronized over from BPOS to Office 365, so your organization did not yet exist in Office 365.

Now that both of these issues are fixed I am finally able to login

Note I used the powershell command line to change my password and that worked.

• Marked as answer by VirtualMIS Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:02 PM
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 5:28 PM
  • Yes, it looks like they finally figured it out.  I changed passwords via the sign-on app and the admin console and both worked.  Both users were able to logon to O365.

Matt

Friday, October 21, 2011 3:45 AM