Is there a way to use the "Reschedule Uncompleted Work to Start After" function for tasks that have started but not finished on the finish date RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way in MS Project 2010 to use the "Reschedule Uncompleted Work to Start After" function for tasks that have started but not finished on the finish date shown?  I'm having to modify the resournce units to accomplish the goal (extending the finish date out to where it should be based upon the percent of work complete OR to remove the record of work completed, reschedule uncompleted work... and then add the hours completed back in.  I don't like either of these options.
    Friday, September 6, 2013 2:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is good news and there is bad news.

The good news is, there is nothing wrong with your file. Opened it, Projectribbon, Update Project button, Reschedule ... and no problem, started but incomplete tasks were split as should be.

From there, the bad news is that I absolutely cannot reproduce the error you got. UNless... of course when I uncheck "Splirt In Progress Tasks" in the schedule options, then it doen't work. But that being checked, there is no problem.

Can you manually split tasks?

Greetings,

Monday, September 9, 2013 6:54 PM

All replies

• FairytaleGardens --

Yes, you can use this feature to reschedule uncompleted work on an in-progress task.  What the software will do is to create a task split, leaving the completed work in the past, and rescheduling the uncompleted work into the current reporting period.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, September 6, 2013 2:54 PM
  • It does not work.  I do have the leveling option set to allow splits and the project schedule options to split in progress tasks.  Is there another place that I need to revise a setting to get this to work?
    Friday, September 6, 2013 3:19 PM
  • To clarify, my finish date for those tasks that are unfinished when rescheduling uncompleted work remains in the past.
    Friday, September 6, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Check if split in progress is set up. Go to File -> Options -> Schedule -> Scheduling options for this project -> Check Split-in progress tasks check box. This should work, let us know if it still doesn't. Hope your tasks which are not moving/spliting doesn't have hard contrains set on them.

Sapna Shukla

Friday, September 6, 2013 4:51 PM
  • The Split in Progress is checked.  I made certain I had no constraints set up. I set my status date to 9/7/13 just to be certain I'm not dealing with a time of day issue. I select  "Reschedule Uncompleted Work to Start After" to the project status date as noted above for the entire project.  The result, anything that has some work completed may have a finish date in the past.  One example started 8/15/13 with 16 hours of work/2 days duration/100% units, it is 95% complete.  After rescheduling uncompleted work, the finish date is 8/29/13.

Any ideas?

Friday, September 6, 2013 5:44 PM
  • I can't reproduce this behavior in any way in Project 2010 SP-2.

Turning off "calculate project after each edit" has no impact.  The reschedule command works whether the option is off or on.

Manually scheduled tasks work as expected.

Tasks with work entered and no resource assigned work as expected.

Turning off "updating task status updates resource status" has no impact.

Constraints will throw an error message but if you select "continue and allow the scheduling conflict" the reschedule command works.

Is this a file you can share?  What service pack is installed?  You are setting your reschedule date to the future, yes?

Friday, September 6, 2013 5:47 PM
  • Hi,

If you can share, send a copy to jandemesATprom-ade.be (replace AT by @) I'll have a look.

Greetings,

Friday, September 6, 2013 6:21 PM
  • Have you tried modifying the calculation options for the project? It seems like what you are doing should work, but maybe these have an effect as well.

Friday, September 6, 2013 6:26 PM
  • I believe that the problem was in the calculation sub boxes which I had checked (And move start of remaining..., And move end of completed...).  Now that I unchecked those, it appears to be working.  I will monitor it.  Thanks for the help all:)

Friday, September 6, 2013 7:30 PM
  • Correction, when I looked closer I still see several that didn't work and are set in the past.  I have now tried every combination that I can with the calculation options and nothing is working.

Friday, September 6, 2013 7:46 PM
  • Have you sent the file to Jan?
    Sunday, September 8, 2013 1:51 PM
  • Hi,

By all means, I haven't seen it.

Greetings,

Sunday, September 8, 2013 8:00 PM
  • I just sent you the project. Thank you for your offer of assistance, I look forward to hearing back from you.  Thanks!
    Monday, September 9, 2013 1:58 PM
  • Hi,

There is good news and there is bad news.

The good news is, there is nothing wrong with your file. Opened it, Projectribbon, Update Project button, Reschedule ... and no problem, started but incomplete tasks were split as should be.

From there, the bad news is that I absolutely cannot reproduce the error you got. UNless... of course when I uncheck "Splirt In Progress Tasks" in the schedule options, then it doen't work. But that being checked, there is no problem.

Can you manually split tasks?

Greetings,

Monday, September 9, 2013 6:54 PM
  • When I manually split tasks it will send them back in time as well. 

Is it possible that this is related to Project Server?  We trialed Project Server but did not purchase and we shut that down so it is no longer available.  I have been "working offline" ever since.

Again, thanks for your help.

Monday, September 9, 2013 9:19 PM
  • Hi,

The remnants of Project Server... that could be the explanation. I myself have something similar (I'm always asked for the custom fields of a customer I once connected to) so sorry, I have no remedy for this invasive behaviour.

Greetings,

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 8:11 AM