none
How to take full control of Windows 10

Question

• Myself not to bright, using Microsoft since the days of DOS 3.1 on a 286 machine. Recently changed from Apple iMac, running Windows 7 to a new system with i5 (Skylake) CPU, a problem - Windows 7 does not see hard drives, so now I have Windows 10. Now an old man and forgetful, I need to change things like host files, access denied, at a loss, for me too easy to muck things up. A single user at home.
    Monday, December 28, 2015 12:14 AM

Answers

• Well the only question I can see is editing hosts file, not sure why you need to do that but... The easiest way I have found is to make a copy of hosts in your Documents folder. Edit the copy, then copy it back (it will let it be overwritten). Oh take a backup of hosts file first just in case.
    Monday, December 28, 2015 12:43 PM

All replies

• Well the only question I can see is editing hosts file, not sure why you need to do that but... The easiest way I have found is to make a copy of hosts in your Documents folder. Edit the copy, then copy it back (it will let it be overwritten). Oh take a backup of hosts file first just in case.
    Monday, December 28, 2015 12:43 PM
  • Hi Wizzy-in-Thailand,

Windows 10 add more controls regarding system files.

For the hosts files, please follow what Mr. Happy suggested, if nay further questions, please feel free to post back.

Besides, please also take a look at the help article below:

Need help with Windows 10?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 7:25 AM
  • It didn't work. 

Destination Folder Access Denied

You need permission to perform this action

I am trying to install an application (VCSA) that needs to write to the hosts file but fails because the hosts file can't be modified.  (I run the installation as Administrator.)

Taking ownership of the file, or even the folder doesn't work either.

Not happy with Windows 10 security tactics, especially for power users.

• Edited by vfitano Sunday, March 12, 2017 9:14 PM
    Sunday, March 12, 2017 9:03 PM
  • Well VCSA please explain more. https://vmwire.com/2011/08/09/vmware-vcenter-server-virtual-appliance-vcsa-feature-parity/ looking at the from 2011. So old pre Windows 10. If that is case contact them. If the installer in not able to access hosts file then the installer needs updating.

The host file can be manually updated by copying it to desktop editing it and copying back (by the user) or by opening notepad as Run as administrator and navigating to the hosts file (as the user). Beyond that Windows has moved on for security reasons so protects the hosts file from programmatic changes.

Sunday, March 12, 2017 11:11 PM