none
Resource Calendar - Exception Days report RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to build a report - in Project Professional 2016 - to list each resource's exception days, however I do not have the same options as described by Ben. I've tried to create a report using the Resource Calendar Exceptions-Date (Enterprise) field; however the application is not picking up the dates I have set as an exception in each resource calendar. I have a screenshot I can share, unfortunately MS does not allow the attachment on this this discussion board. 

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Sheila 

Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:22 PM

Answers

• John, 

Your macro worked like a charm, thank you so much!! 

I have another question...since I'm not savvy with VB. I work for an engineering firm, 99% of our projects are  fixed priced and our engineers travel when commissioning the PLC's we've designed. To simplify the scheduling in Project (v 2016 desktop) I've set each engineers resource calendar to reflect 10hrs/day, 7days/wk. It's static other than the vacation days which I put in as exception days. The tasks for our type of projects are either done in the office (design, programming, etc) or onsite at the cust. location. I've designated office type tasks as "Office" and onsite as "Startup". When assigning resources to a Startup calendar driven task, I load each resource on the task and contour their schedules to reflect rotations.

What I'd like to do is to be able to run a report that will give me an "at a glance" view of who is out onsite and who is in office.  Is this possible? I saw instructions on MS website about a report called "who's doing what" however I cannot find this in Project 2016 and creating customized reports does not yield the results I'm looking for. 

Monday, September 18, 2017 1:39 PM

All replies

• Sheila,

You might find the following thread informative. It provides macro code to create the report you want in Excel.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a8f15497-e036-49f4-834d-8f84276e5869/project-2013-how-to-create-a-resource-working-time-exception-report?forum=projectprofessional2010general

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:35 PM
  • John, 

Your macro worked like a charm, thank you so much!! 

I have another question...since I'm not savvy with VB. I work for an engineering firm, 99% of our projects are  fixed priced and our engineers travel when commissioning the PLC's we've designed. To simplify the scheduling in Project (v 2016 desktop) I've set each engineers resource calendar to reflect 10hrs/day, 7days/wk. It's static other than the vacation days which I put in as exception days. The tasks for our type of projects are either done in the office (design, programming, etc) or onsite at the cust. location. I've designated office type tasks as "Office" and onsite as "Startup". When assigning resources to a Startup calendar driven task, I load each resource on the task and contour their schedules to reflect rotations.

What I'd like to do is to be able to run a report that will give me an "at a glance" view of who is out onsite and who is in office.  Is this possible? I saw instructions on MS website about a report called "who's doing what" however I cannot find this in Project 2016 and creating customized reports does not yield the results I'm looking for. 

Monday, September 18, 2017 1:39 PM
  • Sheila,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback. I'm glad the macro gave you what you need.

With regard to your latest question. How do you identify "Office" versus "Startup" tasks (e.g. is it via a text field)?

You mention a custom resource calendar with 10h/day, 7days/wk. Then you mention a "startup calendar". Are there separate calendars for "Office" and "Startup" tasks? If so, how are they different?

With regard to the "Who does what report", with the introduction of Project 2013, (and carried over to Project 2016), the built-in reports were replaced with dashboard type reports. Unfortunately, some of the built-in reports that users found useful (e.g. "Who does what report") were deleted. I personally never used the built-in reports for a couple of reasons. First, they could only be used for viewing or creating a hard copy, they could not be exported to other applications (e.g. Word, Excel, etc.). Second, they lacked some flexibility. So instead I either customize a Project view directly or export data to Excel to produce whatever report I need (e.g. resource exception report).

Depending on your answers to the above questions, I'll either be able to suggest a customized view or another VBA macro for your "at a glance" view.

John

Monday, September 18, 2017 2:45 PM
  • John, 

My apologies for the lengthy delay in responding...TechNet doesn't allow me to use my Office 365 credentials, just my live.com email account...which I do not use very much. 

Here are the calendars I set up and how I've assigned them: 

Kasa Startup: 10hr/day, 7days/wk

Kasa Office: 8hr/day, 5days/wk

All project calendars and Resource calendars are set to Kasa Startup. These are static. The calendar assigned to the project tasks are set to either the Kasa Startup (onsite, commissioning PLC panels) or Kasa Office (Designing and/or programming the systems). 

These are the only 2 calendars we use. Hopefully this clarifies how we have the calendars set up and how we use them. 

I greatly appreciate your help and patience! 

Sheila

Thursday, September 28, 2017 5:45 PM
  • Sheila,

If the Task Calendar field uniquely identifies onsite or offsite activities, then you should be able to filter that field in the Task Usage view to give a quick look at resources assigned to each type of task. Or, you could group on the Task Calendar field which will give you an overall view segregated into offsite and onsite.

Does that work for you?

John

Thursday, September 28, 2017 8:10 PM