none
Howto Factory Reset WSE 2012 R2

Question

• After some years of runtime (and many experiments) my WSE 2012 R2 seams to be a little bit "out of order" i.e. its not possible to connect via "http:server/connect" any more and thus I cann't join new clients.

My questions:

1. Is there an option to reconfigure the running server with the wizzard started after install? --> Get things to initial state without generating an new Domain which means all Users and Client connections are invalid.
    2. If not: Is it possible to Reset to Factory defaults without reinstall. I've found no clear instructions in Restore or repair your server running Windows Server Essentials

Klaus

Klaus Beckstette Aalen Germany

Wednesday, June 06, 2018 2:35 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>1
    The wizard you had mentioned might means Configure Windows Server Essentials wizard. As far as I know, we can un-install and re-install Windows Server Essentials Experience server role, and during the re-installation, we can initialize and reconfigure the server. 

When you running Configure Windows Server Essentials wizard, there are 2 options about domain:
    1. Create new domain.
    2. Join current system to existing domain.

If you want to keep current domain environment, then, option 2 should be selected, and another Domain Controller should be available on your WSE domain before you remove the Windows Server Essentials Experience server role.

>2
    Please note that, when you restore your server by resetting it to factory default settings, all existing settings and installed applications on your server are deleted, and you must configure your server again. 

It means that you need to re-configure WSE with creating a new domain environment and re-connect client to WSE, all configuration and data are removed and you need to re-start your WSE environment. 

In general, periodical server backup is always recommended as you can restore system to a working status via available backups.

If you want to keep current domain, configuration and data, I would recommend you to consider of migration – migrate from old WSE to new WSE. 

Detail steps you can reference “Migrate from Previous Versions to Windows Server Essentials or Windows Server Essentials Experience”:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/migrate/migrate-from-previous-versions-to-windows-server-essentials-or-windows-server-essentials-experience

Please note that, as you had mentioned that your WSE is “older”, in general, working domain environment and health system are helpful for a successful migration. 

If you still need to installed WSE on existing hardware device, then, you can build a virtual WSE as intermediate conversion, that means migrate from old WSE to virtual WSE, re-install WSE on old hardware, migrate from virtual WSE back to newly re-installed hardware WSE. 

Or, you may consider of re-install or resetting it to factory default settings. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by KlBst Thursday, June 07, 2018 7:47 AM
    Thursday, June 07, 2018 3:18 AM
  • Hi,

>I only need a second intermediate Domain Controller but this must not have the essential role activated.
    You can add standard/datacenter Windows Server to existing WSE domain and configured it as replica DC, that means migrating from WSE to Standard/Datacenter and keep existing domain configuration. 

Also, you can add another WSE to existing domain, and configure it as duplicate DC, that means migrating from WSE to WSE, it is supported as there is a grace period of time (21-day) for WSE migration, during this period of time, 2 WSE can co-existing at same domain. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by KlBst Thursday, June 07, 2018 9:58 AM
    Thursday, June 07, 2018 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

Reference the migration document I had provided in my first reply.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

• Marked as answer by KlBst Thursday, June 07, 2018 10:27 AM
    Thursday, June 07, 2018 10:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>1
    The wizard you had mentioned might means Configure Windows Server Essentials wizard. As far as I know, we can un-install and re-install Windows Server Essentials Experience server role, and during the re-installation, we can initialize and reconfigure the server. 

When you running Configure Windows Server Essentials wizard, there are 2 options about domain:
    1. Create new domain.

If you want to keep current domain environment, then, option 2 should be selected, and another Domain Controller should be available on your WSE domain before you remove the Windows Server Essentials Experience server role.

>2
    Please note that, when you restore your server by resetting it to factory default settings, all existing settings and installed applications on your server are deleted, and you must configure your server again. 

It means that you need to re-configure WSE with creating a new domain environment and re-connect client to WSE, all configuration and data are removed and you need to re-start your WSE environment. 

In general, periodical server backup is always recommended as you can restore system to a working status via available backups.

If you want to keep current domain, configuration and data, I would recommend you to consider of migration – migrate from old WSE to new WSE. 

Detail steps you can reference “Migrate from Previous Versions to Windows Server Essentials or Windows Server Essentials Experience”:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/migrate/migrate-from-previous-versions-to-windows-server-essentials-or-windows-server-essentials-experience

Please note that, as you had mentioned that your WSE is “older”, in general, working domain environment and health system are helpful for a successful migration. 

If you still need to installed WSE on existing hardware device, then, you can build a virtual WSE as intermediate conversion, that means migrate from old WSE to virtual WSE, re-install WSE on old hardware, migrate from virtual WSE back to newly re-installed hardware WSE. 

Or, you may consider of re-install or resetting it to factory default settings. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

• Marked as answer by KlBst Thursday, June 07, 2018 7:47 AM
    Thursday, June 07, 2018 3:18 AM
  • Hi Eve
    Many thanks for your detailed help!

>1

1. Create new domain.

o.k. I will try this version (1.2). If I understand it right, I only need a second intermediate Domain Controller but this must not have the essential role activated.

Yes, you are really right ... and I've got a backup. But this includes the misconfigurations :-(

Klaus

Thursday, June 07, 2018 7:47 AM
  • Hi,

>I only need a second intermediate Domain Controller but this must not have the essential role activated.
    You can add standard/datacenter Windows Server to existing WSE domain and configured it as replica DC, that means migrating from WSE to Standard/Datacenter and keep existing domain configuration. 

Also, you can add another WSE to existing domain, and configure it as duplicate DC, that means migrating from WSE to WSE, it is supported as there is a grace period of time (21-day) for WSE migration, during this period of time, 2 WSE can co-existing at same domain. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

• Marked as answer by KlBst Thursday, June 07, 2018 9:58 AM
    Thursday, June 07, 2018 9:00 AM
  • >Also, you can add another WSE to existing domain, and configure it as duplicate DC, that means migrating from WSE to WSE, it is supported as there is a grace period of time (21-day) for WSE migration, during this period of time, 2 WSE can co-existing at same domain.

Sounds good :-)

Should I run the WSE Configuration Wizzard on the second WSE or just intall the role?

... and how to configure as duplicate DC?

Klaus

• Edited by KlBst Thursday, June 07, 2018 9:59 AM
    Thursday, June 07, 2018 9:57 AM
  • Hi,

Reference the migration document I had provided in my first reply.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

• Marked as answer by KlBst Thursday, June 07, 2018 10:27 AM
    Thursday, June 07, 2018 10:07 AM
  • THX!

Will start now and recport on experiences

Klaus

Thursday, June 07, 2018 10:27 AM
  • Hi,

It’s my pleasure.

Please feel free to let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, June 08, 2018 1:33 AM
  • Please feel free to let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

... and here I am :-(

Two open actions:

1. Transfer FSMO role gives an "forbidden access" error during last step "transfer schema master"
    2. During step 4 "Move settings and data ..." for me it's not clear howto transfer the "Odnerumleitung" i.e. "Folderredirection" data as even the DomainAdmin doesn't have access to the full folder structure. I changed ownership and added full access but now the specific access settings per user are gone. --> howto set it back to original situation?

Klaus

Friday, June 08, 2018 10:16 AM
  • System and Clients are running but with LOTS of errors and warnings. In total 31 BPA-Events :-( regardint AD DS and DNS

It seems that after demoting the primary server this server ist still registered as replication server. I.e. "RE

Repadmin: Befehl "/showrepl" wird fr den vollst„ndigen DC "localhost" ausgefhrt

Default-First-Site-Name\INTERMEDIATE

DSA-Optionen: IS_GC 

Standortoptionen: (none)

DSA-Objekt-GUID: 9b4db99d-d589-4562-b26e-60c125f8166c

DSA-Aufrufkennung: a5747454-b712-414a-aa37-ada009a9f84d

==== EINGEHENDE NACHBARN=====================================

DC=AALEN,DC=local

Default-First-Site-Name\SRV ber RPC

DSA-Objekt-GUID: 54e1f995-77e6-4ca0-bf73-74ebb9a57154

Letzter Versuch am 2018-06-11 09:59:20 ist fehlgeschlagen, Ergebnis 1722 (0x6ba):

Der RPC-Server ist nicht verfgbar.

38 aufeinander folgende Fehler.

Letzte Erfolg um 2018-06-08 14:59:22.

CN=Configuration,DC=AALEN,DC=local

Letzter Versuch am 2018-06-11 10:00:02 ist fehlgeschlagen, Ergebnis 1722 (0x6ba):

Letzte Erfolg um 2018-06-08 14:49:59.

CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=AALEN,DC=local

Letzter Versuch am 2018-06-11 10:00:44 ist fehlgeschlagen, Ergebnis 1722 (0x6ba):

Letzte Erfolg um 2018-06-08 14:45:34.

DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=AALEN,DC=local

Letzter Versuch am 2018-06-11 09:59:20 ist fehlgeschlagen, Ergebnis 1256 (0x4e8):

Der Remotecomputer ist nicht verfgbar. Weitere Informationen zur Behebung von Netzwerkproblemen finden Sie in der Windows-Hilfe.

Letzte Erfolg um 2018-06-08 15:04:31.

DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=AALEN,DC=local

Letzter Versuch am 2018-06-11 09:59:20 ist fehlgeschlagen, Ergebnis 1256 (0x4e8):

Der Remotecomputer ist nicht verfgbar. Weitere Informationen zur Behebung von Netzwerkproblemen finden Sie in der Windows-Hilfe.

Letzte Erfolg um 2018-06-08 14:59:32.

Quelle: Default-First-Site-Name\SRV

******* 38 AUFEINANDERFOLGENDE FEHLER seit 2018-06-08 15:04:31

Letzter Fehler: 1256 (0x4e8):

Of course this isn't a smooth running system and "resetting to factory setting" isn't finished at all :-(

By the way: The old server is still to be seen in AD (not in Server-Manager) but cannot be removed because auf "insufficient rights"

• Edited by KlBst Monday, June 11, 2018 9:05 AM
    Monday, June 11, 2018 8:44 AM
  • Probably you need to start the Powershell prompt or the CMD prompt elevated 'as administrator'.

Mariëtte Knap
    www.server-essentials.com | Linkedin | Migrations done the easy way

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, June 15, 2018 3:43 PM