none
Windows 10 not proposing to use picture password login after update from 8.1... RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

After upgrading a Surface Pro 3 from W 8.1 to W 10, the login screen does not propose the picture password login as in the past (after locking the workstation for ex.).

I redefined the picture password but still no other way to login back as username+password.

Thanks for help,

Thomas.

Sunday, August 2, 2015 9:54 AM

Answers

• Found the solution but do not agree that it's OK to do so...

Had to modify this GPO option:

set Security Option: "Interactive login: Do not display last user name" to DISABLED (was ENABLED before in my domain)

Now you have picture password login back again but also the last user name displayed along with the name of other possible users who are logged in on the device.

So there is a choice of more user friendliness vs less security.

Thanks. (or not).

*** More on this....
    With the same security setting in Windows 8.1, the picture password login feature was also not proposed at first login. But subsequent authentications like when you unlock the PC after a sleep, hibernation or screen off, worked.
    I think, that in Windows 10 this was in fact further enforced because picture password login is more targeted to touch screens and so. So if the system does not know who wants to authenticate, you would at least type the username but then, you need a keyboard. So the information about the "last logged in user (s) " is important so the system can propose to "touch" on of them so it knows which users picture password to use for the challenge...
    So in fact it is more secure because its a all or nothing solution.

Thomas.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 7:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I made a test in our testing environment, picture password in Windows 10 works fine.

For your problem, firstly, please make sure picture password was defined correctly.

Secondly, If problem persists, you can try to create a new user account to test if it has same problem.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 7:42 AM
  • Found the solution but do not agree that it's OK to do so...

Had to modify this GPO option:

set Security Option: "Interactive login: Do not display last user name" to DISABLED (was ENABLED before in my domain)

Now you have picture password login back again but also the last user name displayed along with the name of other possible users who are logged in on the device.

So there is a choice of more user friendliness vs less security.

Thanks. (or not).

*** More on this....
    With the same security setting in Windows 8.1, the picture password login feature was also not proposed at first login. But subsequent authentications like when you unlock the PC after a sleep, hibernation or screen off, worked.
    I think, that in Windows 10 this was in fact further enforced because picture password login is more targeted to touch screens and so. So if the system does not know who wants to authenticate, you would at least type the username but then, you need a keyboard. So the information about the "last logged in user (s) " is important so the system can propose to "touch" on of them so it knows which users picture password to use for the challenge...
    So in fact it is more secure because its a all or nothing solution.

Thomas.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 7:51 AM
  • Roger,

1. I guess Picture Password works fine because MS sure tested it before launch day. And if it works in your particular environment, doesn't mean it works in every environment. The goal here is to figure out what is particular in that given environment where it does not work. Please see problem resolution below and test that one. You may then see that it does not work even in your setup then.

2. "please make sure picture password was defined correctly" doesn't do any progress to the problem. Because you do not say what you understand by correctly.

3. "you can try to create a new user account to test if it has same problem" doesn't bring any solution because Picture Password sign-in is proposed or not proposed in W10. No matter how many accounts and if there is a picture password defined or not.

What is MSFT "CSG" ?

Thomas.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 2:58 PM