none
BSOD when starting Hyper-V, after Windows 10 Creators update (1709)

Question

• Hello all,

After installing W10 Fall Creators update (version 1709) each time I start my Hyper-V machine I run into a BSOD on the machine running Hyper-V with the error message SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION related to vmswitch.sys

I've tried deleting and recreating the network and the virtual switch in Hyper-V, the same result. Same issue if I'm using the WiFi network instead of cable one. There is no BSOD if I try to start the VM without network, however ... I need Internet connection on the VM.

I'm running a HP ProBook 6560b notebook having W10 Pro x64 and Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection with 12.10.29.0 driver version from 5/2/2014 (this is because no matter what driver I install, if I check for the latest drivers, Microsoft installs again version 12.10.29.0)

I tried also to install the latest drivers from Intel (22.10 driver version from 12/7/2017: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25016/Ethernet-Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-10...) but nothing changed, I've got the same BSOD when Hype-V started.

W10 worked perfect on my notebook from the beginning, with no issue until this last update.

Is there any other person having the same issue? If yes, did you find a solution for this?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Regards,

Thursday, December 28, 2017 10:30 AM

Answers

• Hi,

and thank you all for your answers.

In the end I solved the issue by changing the type of VM network from Network Adapter to Legacy Network Adapter.

No other changes; now the VM it's working fine (the switch it was from the beginning defined as Internal and the internet connection of the hypervisor machine was shared).

P.S. Contacted by phone, Microsoft support told me that since on the Manufacturer's website (HP) there are no W10 drivers, I shall downgrade to W8.1 ... even if W10 worked fine until this W10 Fall Creators update (version 1709).

Wishing you a happy, healthy and prosperous year ahead !!!

Regards,

• Marked as answer by Jan F P Wednesday, January 03, 2018 11:03 AM
    Wednesday, January 03, 2018 11:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There are several methods we can try to troubleshoot this issue.

1. restart Hyper-v feature.

Step-By-Step: Enabling Hyper-V for use on Windows 10

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2015/09/08/step-by-step-enabling-hyper-v-for-use-on-windows-10/

2. Most Hyper-v issues are relate to the network, please try to update the network driver to the latest version and see if it helps.

3. Please also refer to the following article and see if it helps.

Hyper-V Virtual Machine Connection has stopped working

http://paulferrill.azurewebsites.net/?p=921

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

In addition, as we suspected, it was a Windows Firewall issue. Tick Windows Management Instrumentation to enable it for Domain, Private or Public as required and check if Hyper-V Manager works.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 29, 2017 2:31 AM
  • To evaluate the BSOD please post logs for troubleshooting.

Using administrative command prompt copy and paste this whole command:

Make sure the default language is English so that the logs can be scanned and read.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3813-language-add-remove-change-windows-10-a.html

The command will automatically collect the computer files and place them on the desktop.

Then use one drive or drop box to place share links into the the thread for troubleshooting.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Share-OneDrive-files-and-folders-9fcc2f7d-de0c-4cec-93b0-a82024800c07

It will automatically collect these files:  msinfo32, dxdiag, mini dumps, drivers hosts, install, uninstall, services, startup, event viewer files, etc.

Open administrative command prompt and copy and paste the whole command:

copy %SystemRoot%\minidump\*.dmp "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\"&dxdiag /t %Temp%\dxdiag.txt&copy %Temp%\dxdiag.txt "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\SFdebugFiles\"&type %SystemRoot%\System32\drivers\etc\hosts >> "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\hosts.txt"&systeminfo > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\systeminfo.txt"&driverquery /v > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\drivers.txt" &msinfo32 /nfo "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\msinfo32.nfo"&wevtutil qe System /f:text > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\eventlog.txt"&reg export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\uninstall.txt"&reg export "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\installed.txt"&net start > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\services.txt"&REM wmic startup list full /format:htable >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.html"&wmic STARTUP GET Caption, Command, User >"%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\startup.txt"

There is 1 file for you to find manually:  memory dump file:

C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP

Use file explorer > this PC > local C: drive > right upper corner search enter each of the above to find results.

Sometimes the dxdiag may need to be done manually:  In the left lower corner search type:  dxdiag > open all pages/tabs > allow it load for several minutes > save to desktop > post a one drive or drop box share link into the thread.

Friday, December 29, 2017 2:43 AM
  • Hi Jan,

Changed the connection type of the virtual switch from External to Internet. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/home?searchTerm=vmswitch.sys

Momominta

• Edited by momominta Friday, December 29, 2017 2:54 AM
    Friday, December 29, 2017 2:51 AM
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem?

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 01, 2018 2:56 AM
  • Hi,

and thank you all for your answers.

In the end I solved the issue by changing the type of VM network from Network Adapter to Legacy Network Adapter.

No other changes; now the VM it's working fine (the switch it was from the beginning defined as Internal and the internet connection of the hypervisor machine was shared).

P.S. Contacted by phone, Microsoft support told me that since on the Manufacturer's website (HP) there are no W10 drivers, I shall downgrade to W8.1 ... even if W10 worked fine until this W10 Fall Creators update (version 1709).

Wishing you a happy, healthy and prosperous year ahead !!!

Regards,

• Marked as answer by Jan F P Wednesday, January 03, 2018 11:03 AM
    Wednesday, January 03, 2018 11:03 AM
  • Okay, so the problem you've described is that Windows Blue-screens on boot as a result of VMSWITCH.SYS crashing. Perfect -- I've got the same problem.

The part I'm having trouble with though, is that you've described all these actions you've taken, but I'm wondering HTF you managed to do *anything* with the computer, since, after all, as you said, it blue-screens on boot as soon as it attempts to start Hyper-V?!?!

I can't view VM's, or manage them, or, well, do sweet eff all, what with all that "it effing BLUESCREENS ON BOOT" thing happening!!

Fwiw, on boot, when Hyper-V starts to initialise, I get the "Your PC Ran into a problem" bluescreen which reports a "SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION" and identifies the culprit as "vmswitch.sys"...

Sunday, February 04, 2018 4:10 PM
  • Okay, so, I too managed to resolve this issue after a week of Microsoft's Hyper-V team failing miserably to fix it (they ultimately concluded that I needed to back up the machine, re-format it and re-install Windows 10 (1709) and then restore my VM -- a process that perfectly resulted in the EXACT SAME BSOD error when the restored VM was connected to the virtual switch).
    I was able to regain control of the machine by booting into safe-mode and moving the stored location of the VM's to an alternate location then, upon successful reboot, I put them BACK to the original location. With a couple of Refreshes (F5), Hyper V picked them up again, and I was able to change the startup mode of the VM to manual rather than automatic. At least then I didn't end up in perpetual reboot hell whenever it crashed.

Subsequently, removing the original Hyper-V "Virtual Network Adapters" from the virtual machine, and replacing them with Legacy Virtual Network Adapters fully resolved the problem and the VM is back to operating normally once again.

I'm posting this for any other unfortunate individuals who run into this problem in the hopes of saving you the hours of frustration and aggravation that I had in dealing with Microsoft on fixing this problem (and the hell I'm in now of trying to get them to refund the $600 they took to accomplish precisely *nothing* in the meantime!)
    • Proposed as answer by Bleuszler Monday, February 12, 2018 5:00 PM
    Monday, February 12, 2018 4:59 PM
  •   That is very odd. What OS is in the vm guest(s)? There are very few which need a legacy app (or have the necessary drivers for it). It emulates an old card from Virtual PC.

Bill

Thursday, February 15, 2018 5:26 AM