none
No Lync usage information in MAP 9.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a mixed Lync 2010 and 2013 environment with standard Front End servers and a monitoring server configured - when I run inventory for Lync it discovers the servers and detects them a Lync FEs an even makes a SQL connection to the monitoring database, but no details are returned. I have checked that remote management and remote PowerShell are enabled and that the monitoring server allows remote SQL connections to the appropriate database and that all the credentials are valid and accepted.

I've followed the instructions here -> http://blogs.technet.com/b/mapblog/archive/2012/11/28/using-map-toolkit-8-0-to-assess-your-lync-2010-licensing.aspx but still don't get any details returned.

Could anyone suggest why this may be and what steps I could take to trouble shoot this issue?

Thanks

james

Monday, February 24, 2014 2:38 PM

Answers

• Can you change the regional setting on the MAP machine to en-US while you do the scan? I think that might solve the problem. Once the Lync scan is complete you should be able to change it back without further issue.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by jrcarter Monday, March 17, 2014 12:31 PM
    Friday, March 14, 2014 4:15 PM

All replies

• I think i am having the same issue. I have been trying to run a map scan of my Lync 2010 environment for the past couple days. when i go to Usage Tracking i see the "Lync Server" box. it says

0 Total devices

0 Total Users

2 Total Front End Servers

I click on the box and the "Lync Server Usage Summary" page opens. Everything says 0 for devices and users.

I enabled remote powershell by running "enable-psremoting" but that didnt help. I also went to the Lync Database server and gave my user account full rights to the DB. still nothing

Is this the same issue you are having James?

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:22 PM
  • Hi Ryaed

That's exactly the issue I'm having - I wonder of the fact that the servers are all pretty well patched up to date (may be one CU missing) is relevant ?

I checked from the MAP server and it is making contact with the SQL server on our monitoring box on the right port

Thanks

James

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 10:16 AM
  • [UPDATE] I've done a bit more digging with NetMon and found the following string in the response from the monitoring SQL server to the MAP server

RowMsgText: Conversion failed when converting date and/or time from character string.

this is in response to a request from the MAP server to the Lync monitor SQL that starts

SQLText: SELECT DISTINCT
          -- For real user, it should satisfy the condiction (t.[TenantId] = '00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000003' OR ua.[UAType] in (4, 8, 16, 64, 128, 16386,16387))
          -- we also filter out those u.[URI] which is of format 'sip:phon

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 12:43 PM
  • Hey James,

Good question on updates. Maybe a lync related CU? Or maybe for Powershell/WinRM?

I checked the Software Requirements on the download page for MAP and it says:

Scenario-dependent requirements: 
    •For machines that will be used to run the Forefront Endpoint Protection Usage Tracking, 
    Lync Usage Tracking, Exchange Server Usage Tracking, or Volume Licensing scenarios, 
    please note: PowerShell 2.0 or higher must be installed. 

I have Server 2008r2 running on my Lync servers and the MAP tool i am running from a 2012 server. So maybe i have a version missmatch on Powershell/WinRM. (2.0 on 2008 and 3.0 on 2012.)

I will try running MAP from a Powershell 2.0 machine.

If that doesnt work I will upgrade WinRM/Powershell on the Lync servers to 3.0. It might take me a few days to get this approved and my servers rebooted. I will let you know how it goes.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 7:30 PM
  • MAP queries the LcsCDR database on the monitoring server to get the information. Check that database to see if the tables have data in them.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, February 27, 2014 1:24 AM
  • [UPDATE #2]

Yes the LcsCDR database tables have content in them.

I ran SQL profiler on the monitoring server while running a MAP inventory for Lync and captured the SELECT statements used. The start of statement that have the error is shown above, I copied this into SQL manager and ran on the LcsCDR database - I got the same error as shown above with a bit more detail

Msg 241, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Conversion failed when converting date and/or time from character string.

Looking through the statement I found that the second line from the end refered to dates

WHERE

CONVERT(DATE, r.[SessionIdTime]) BETWEEN '28/11/2013 00:00:00' AND '27/12/2013 00:00:00'

I commented this line out of the SELECT statement and re-ran it, it returned 106273 line of information.

It therefore appears that the data is there but the Lync monitoring SQL server doesn't like the way MAP is asking for it. What I don't know is if the root problem is in MAP or the monitoring server, if its in the monitoring servers SQL setup can that be changed without impacting the ability to record new information or report on existing data?

Thursday, February 27, 2014 8:44 AM
  • What is the language setting on the computer with the monitoring database? What is the SQL collation order set to?

Friday, February 28, 2014 6:37 PM
  • computer language is English (United Kingdom)

SQL collation is Latin1_General_CI_AS for the server and Latin1_General_BIN for the LcsCDR database

Monday, March 3, 2014 11:21 AM
  • Can you try altering the CONVERT statement so that it is in MM/DD/YYYY format instead of DD/MM/YYYY? I'm curious if that is what is hanging things up. I also found this regarding collation order:

Latin1_General_BIN

• Collation uses code page 1252 and binary sorting rules. The Latin1 General dictionary sorting rules are ignored.

I'm still investigating what impact, if any, this may have. What is the language/regional setting for the MAP computer and the target server? Is it EN-us or something else?

Tuesday, March 4, 2014 8:02 PM
  • Hi

I changed the CONVERT statement from

CONVERT(DATE, r.[SessionIdTime]) BETWEEN '30/01/2014 00:00:00' AND '28/02/2014 00:00:00'

that failed to

CONVERT

(DATE, r.[SessionIdTime]) BETWEEN '01/30/2014 00:00:00' AND '02/28/2014 00:00:00'

that worked

both the MAP and the target server have the system locale set to en-GB BUT I've just noticed in the SQL server the language is set to English (United States) on the target server - which is odd as SQL was installed after the system locale was set correctly to en-GB

• Edited by jrcarter Wednesday, March 5, 2014 11:07 AM
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 11:05 AM
  • [UPDATE] - checking using WMI calls gives the following results on both servers

Locale                                    : 0809
    MUILanguages                              : {en-US}
    OSLanguage                                : 1033

• Edited by jrcarter Wednesday, March 5, 2014 11:22 AM
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 11:22 AM
  • Which WMI class did you query? And does it match what is in the Regional and Language settings in the Control Panel? I suspect that MAP is putting the date format into British standard date format but SQL is expecting the US standard date format and that is what is causing the conversion to fail.

Regarding the collation, it's fine. I was finally able to get access to the Lync monitoring database in our test lab and it has the same collation setting for the LcsCDR database as yours, so that definitely isn't an issue.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:44 PM
  • Hi

I used the following command

Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_OperatingSystem -ComputerName . | Select-Object -Property *

Locale 0809 is British English - so that does match the Regional Settings

Friday, March 14, 2014 8:33 AM
  • Can you change the regional setting on the MAP machine to en-US while you do the scan? I think that might solve the problem. Once the Lync scan is complete you should be able to change it back without further issue.

• Marked as answer by jrcarter Monday, March 17, 2014 12:31 PM
    Friday, March 14, 2014 4:15 PM
  • Yes, that worked - switched MAP machine only to en-US and rebooted - re-ran scan and it all worked with no errors - thanks
    Monday, March 17, 2014 12:31 PM