Modify not allows to Edit file in Sequencer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to edit a file in Sequencer (5.0 sp2) that can be opened with Notepad after local installation.

When right click on file there are : Add Delete Modify.

When click Modify it provides the box for a path. I guess Modify means Replace...

Do I am missing something?

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Friday, January 9, 2015 2:49 PM
    Friday, January 9, 2015 12:32 AM

Answers

• The App-V Sequencer does not allow to 'edit' files/documents with their default programs. 'Editing' a file in the package files sections means that you can contol the file's mapping.

To change the file's content, you've to edit in *outside* of the Sequencer (in the machine's file system), and then Add/Modify it inside the Sequencer. The Sequencer then essentally will copy the file-system-changed file back into the App-V package

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

• Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, January 9, 2015 4:12 PM
    Friday, January 9, 2015 10:10 AM
  • Confirmed except for exluded folders.

In fact this is the easiest and most preferred method/point-in-time to make such adjustments.

If a folder is in the Sequencer's Exclusion Items list, modifications/additions there will of course not be added to the package.

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

• Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, January 9, 2015 4:11 PM
    Friday, January 9, 2015 3:43 PM

All replies

• The App-V Sequencer does not allow to 'edit' files/documents with their default programs. 'Editing' a file in the package files sections means that you can contol the file's mapping.

To change the file's content, you've to edit in *outside* of the Sequencer (in the machine's file system), and then Add/Modify it inside the Sequencer. The Sequencer then essentally will copy the file-system-changed file back into the App-V package

Falko

• Marked as answer by pob579 Friday, January 9, 2015 4:12 PM
    Friday, January 9, 2015 10:10 AM
  • Falco,

thanks for explanation on editing in sequencer...

Can I change/replace the file in c:\Program Files\Program_NAME after installation is done in sequencer and before clicking I am finished installing.

I want to be sure that it will take effect in the package. I think Yes.

I prefer to have the file replaced before Running the app for first feature block...

And it will be more appropriate than replacing the file in sequencer before saving.

Please confirm that I can replace file/files before clicking I am finished installing.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Friday, January 9, 2015 2:35 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by pob579 Friday, January 9, 2015 4:11 PM
    Friday, January 9, 2015 2:29 PM
  • Confirmed except for exluded folders.

In fact this is the easiest and most preferred method/point-in-time to make such adjustments.

If a folder is in the Sequencer's Exclusion Items list, modifications/additions there will of course not be added to the package.

Falko

Friday, January 9, 2015 3:43 PM
  • Thanks!

Friday, January 9, 2015 4:12 PM