none
Windows Server 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Will DPM 2010 support backing up windows server 2012 or will I have to upgrade DPM to 2012 as well?

Thanks,
    Jim

Jim

Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:02 PM

All replies

• Hi

It might but the software requirements have not been updated to indicate this. Possibly upgrading to DPM 2012 might be best:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399140.aspx

Friday, August 24, 2012 9:50 AM
  • Since the licensing model for 2012 has pushed DPM into the entire System Center suite, I hope Microsoft makes this possible under 2010 for those of us who can't afford to buy the whole suite but have otherwise adopted DPM and want to move into 2012 for servers.  Even supporting this transition is in their best interest, I can't afford the time to just upgrade DPM to 2012 and system center to be able to protect 2012 servers that I will trickle in.

- Vo

Friday, August 24, 2012 2:07 PM
  • Since the licensing model for 2012 has pushed DPM into the entire System Center suite, I hope Microsoft makes this possible under 2010 for those of us who can't afford to buy the whole suite but have otherwise adopted DPM and want to move into 2012 for servers.  Even supporting this transition is in their best interest, I can't afford the time to just upgrade DPM to 2012 and system center to be able to protect 2012 servers that I will trickle in.

- Vo

If you have software assurance there have been some very good conversion rates from the "old" licensing model to the new suite based.

From everything so far DPM 2012 SP1 will be the minimum requirement to protect Windows Server 2012.

Going from 2010 to 2012 is a easy and well documented inplace upgrade so that shouldnt be a burden unless you have loads of servers.

Friday, August 24, 2012 9:10 PM

•  If you have software assurance there have been some very good conversion rates from the "old" licensing model to the new suite based.

From everything so far DPM 2012 SP1 will be the minimum requirement to protect Windows Server 2012.

Going from 2010 to 2012 is a easy and well documented inplace upgrade so that shouldnt be a burden unless you have loads of servers.

I do not have SA.  Like many organizations budgets are tight and I had to choose immediate functionality without the upgrades built in.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:49 PM