what are the splogs and when they needed RRS feed

• Question

• hi

in web application daily many users upload documents and they search documents, and my sharepoint farm has 5 web applications

here I seen in splogs folder has huge size every day its increasing , what are the splogs and when they needed

adil

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:50 PM

Answers

• Marked as answer by Victoria Xia Friday, April 25, 2014 8:39 AM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:02 PM
  • i would recommend move these logs files to other drive than you system(C:), so you dont have the space issue.

As everybody said, these logs are critical along with IIS logs & event Log to troubleshoot the issue.

you can configure the upto how many days of logs you wan to store, you can configure this setting at this page "central admin > Monitoring> Configure the diagnostics logs " Under "Number of days to store Log Files".

for the Usage log, once its processed( once in 24 hours) no need of these logs but again these logs trim automatically. you can configure setting under the Services Application > Usage and Health data collection services Application.

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:17 PM

All replies

• Splogs, i am sure you are talking about the SharePoint ULs Logs.

could you please check,

folder location from the server

from central admin > Monitoring> Configure the diagnostics logs  

if both path are same then these are SharePoint ULS logs.

Please remember to mark your question as answered &Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -WS MCITP(SharePoint 2010, 2013) Blog: http://wscheema.com/blog

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:42 PM
  • yes this folder in same path as mentioned

central admin > Monitoring> Configure the diagnostics logs  

in this folder I seen log files are text files

if I delete these logs  ,can they useful in future any problem occur

there is some logs also  storing in  root folder

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\LOGS

I seen some usage filetypes and  text files

in both places these log files stored as with server name

here I want to know  what are the diffrences  and if I get any problem in sharepoint farm , which logs are useful to trace the cause

adil

• Edited by adilahmed Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:21 PM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:15 PM
  • Hi adil,

SP Logs (ULS Logs) is used for troubleshooting issues,as a way to keep track of problems with components and application's histroy,and also helps in monitoring the overall health of the systems.

By default, SharePoint  writes diagnostic logs to the same drive and partition on which it was installed. Because diagnostic logging can use a large amount of drive space and compromise drive performance, you should configure SharePoint  to write to another drive on which SharePoint  is not installed. If verbose-level logging is configured, the server records a large amount of data.

Reference http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee748656(v=office.15).aspx

Regards,

Senthil

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:00 PM
    Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:02 PM
  • i would recommend move these logs files to other drive than you system(C:), so you dont have the space issue.

As everybody said, these logs are critical along with IIS logs & event Log to troubleshoot the issue.

you can configure the upto how many days of logs you wan to store, you can configure this setting at this page "central admin > Monitoring> Configure the diagnostics logs " Under "Number of days to store Log Files".

for the Usage log, once its processed( once in 24 hours) no need of these logs but again these logs trim automatically. you can configure setting under the Services Application > Usage and Health data collection services Application.

Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:17 PM