none
Account Unknown in my registry editor RRS feed

• Question

• Today is 5 Feb 2018.  I found "Account Unknown" entries in every "Permissions" section of my registry.  I tried to delete one of them and ended up in blue screen land.  So then I had to do a "restore" just to get back into the computer.  The entries are still in the registry and I'm not sure if they're part of Windows, or some other not-so-good entries.  Can anyone tell me (in plain English) how I can tell if these are just some duplicate Windows stuff, or if I really have a problem?  I can live with them if they're just more of Windows.  Thanks,
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 3:48 AM

All replies

• Hi spoon,

First please make sure you sign in with Administrator account.

And then take ownership of registry entry that have unknown account problem.

1. Right click the registry entry.

2. Select Permissions..., go to Advanced.

3. Confirm the ownership is the Administrator that you sign with Windows.

After that, remove Account Unknown entry as below, it should succeed.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 2:43 AM
  • This works for 1 entry but I have many entries that all the the same Unknown User and I have no idea how to find all of them. I have seen other threads that when these are in entries owner by TrustedInstaller they can cause system hang and my system hangs when it is not being used.
    Thursday, May 31, 2018 2:17 AM