none
Switching a Project From Task Reporting to Time Reporting RRS feed

• Question

• My company currently uses PWA Project Plans to report percentage complete for project tasks.  Each week the resources assigned to the task will enter their percentage complete with their assigned tasks.  Time reporting for each day is done in another system, Clarity.

My company would like to get rid of Clarity and start using Timesheets in PWA.  Percent complete per task would no longer be entered by the person reporting time.

Are there any adverse effects to open projects after this change is made?  Can projects go from one day using the Tasks reporting method to the next day using the Time reporting method without any impacts?

Monday, January 20, 2014 10:13 PM

All replies

• dennykat --

I believe that the chief limitation your users will encounter is that all in-progress tasks must continue to use the old method of tracking task progress until they are completed.  Only new tasks will be able to use the new tracking method.  I will gladly invite others to add their own comments about your question as well.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, January 20, 2014 10:45 PM
  • I agree with Dale, you cannot switch tracking methods once a project starts. 

However, you may want to create new projects schedules anyway, when you switch.  Project schedules that are based on percent complete are often very skewed.  For example, a project manager may define a task with a duration of 5 days and assigns it to a person.  The planned work may show as 40 hours.  A resource works on it for a couple of hours and marks it 100% complete and now the schedule shows 40 hours of actual work, when it is only two hours.   I am not saying this is what happens, but very likely.

Switching tracking method is a major reconfiguration and needs a good plan for implementing.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 1:17 AM
  • Dale and Michael - Thank you both for your insight on this.  I very much appreciate it.
    Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:22 PM
  • dennykat --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 7:58 PM