Tracking Gantt don't display the newest baseline RRS feed

• Question

• I have two baselines in Project 2007: A (old) and B (new). How do I display in my Tracking Gantt the newest baseline (B) and not the older (A)?

Sunday, August 22, 2010 1:46 PM

Answers

• In Project, Baselines aren't labeled as "A" or "B". First, determined which baseline you saved into.  It will be Baseline "n" where "n" is a number between 1 and 10.  Then in the Tracking Gantt, right mouse click on the Gantt chart and pick "bar styles".  This dialogue box specifies all the parameters which control what's displayed.  Change the line describing the baseline to use the base you want by changing the field definition in the "from" and "to" columns.
    --rms www.rmschneider.com
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Even though you will be displaying both baselines, please remember that only the baseline fields and not baseline1-10 are used in the variance calculations. 

If you are using baseline, baseline1, and baseline2 for your baseline history take a look at the Multiple Baseline Gantt view.  It is already set up to show these 3 baselines.  You could take a copy of this view and add Gantt bars for the curriculum schedule. 

It is my recommendation when a baseline is set that you also set the baseline to the baseline1 fields at the same time.  That way you save the orginal into baseline1 and updates will occur to the baseline fields.  You will always be able to see what you started with and the baseline plus updates in the Multiple Baseline Gantt view.

Ellen Lehnert

www.lehnertcs.com

Sunday, August 22, 2010 4:02 PM
  • Abilio,

You can have Project calculate variance comparing current data and any baseline (baseline through baseline10) by setting the correct baseline in Tools > Options, Calculation tab.  Click the "Earned Value" button on the page and select the baseline you wish to use in calculations.  Project will automatically recalculate the variance values (duration variance, start variance, work variance, etc) based upon your selection.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:20 PM

All replies

• In Project, Baselines aren't labeled as "A" or "B". First, determined which baseline you saved into.  It will be Baseline "n" where "n" is a number between 1 and 10.  Then in the Tracking Gantt, right mouse click on the Gantt chart and pick "bar styles".  This dialogue box specifies all the parameters which control what's displayed.  Change the line describing the baseline to use the base you want by changing the field definition in the "from" and "to" columns.
    --rms www.rmschneider.com
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 3:34 PM
  • Even though you will be displaying both baselines, please remember that only the baseline fields and not baseline1-10 are used in the variance calculations. 

If you are using baseline, baseline1, and baseline2 for your baseline history take a look at the Multiple Baseline Gantt view.  It is already set up to show these 3 baselines.  You could take a copy of this view and add Gantt bars for the curriculum schedule. 

It is my recommendation when a baseline is set that you also set the baseline to the baseline1 fields at the same time.  That way you save the orginal into baseline1 and updates will occur to the baseline fields.  You will always be able to see what you started with and the baseline plus updates in the Multiple Baseline Gantt view.

Ellen Lehnert

www.lehnertcs.com

Sunday, August 22, 2010 4:02 PM
  • Ellen,

When I have two baselines: baseline and baseline1, the Variance table presents the difference in relation to data stored in the baseline, right? In this case, I would like the Project ever used as reference data stored in baseline1 and not from baseline. How can I do this?

Thanks,

Abilio.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:15 PM
  • Abilio,

You can have Project calculate variance comparing current data and any baseline (baseline through baseline10) by setting the correct baseline in Tools > Options, Calculation tab.  Click the "Earned Value" button on the page and select the baseline you wish to use in calculations.  Project will automatically recalculate the variance values (duration variance, start variance, work variance, etc) based upon your selection.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Sunday, August 22, 2010 8:20 PM
  • You are truly experts in the area.
    Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:31 PM