Event 5774, NETLOGON RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I have Windows Server Standard 2008 Service Pack 2

I'm getting these reoccurring errors, approximately every 8 hours:
    (1)
    The dynamic registration of the DNS record '_ldap._tcp.fp.com. 600 IN SRV 0 100 389 fp01.fp.com.' failed on the following DNS server: 

(DNS server IP address: ::

Returned Response Code (RCODE): 0
    Returned Status Code: 0  ) --> Same for all of the error messages

(2)
    The dynamic registration of the DNS record '_ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.fp.com. 600 IN SRV 0 100 389 fp01.fp.com.' failed on the following DNS server: 

(3)
    The dynamic registration of the DNS record '_ldap._tcp.pdc._msdcs.fp.com. 600 IN SRV 0 100 389 fp01.fp.com.' failed on the following DNS server: 

(4)
    The dynamic registration of the DNS record '_ldap._tcp.gc._msdcs.fp.com. 600 IN SRV 0 100 3268 fp01.fp.com.' failed on the following DNS server: 

(5)
    The dynamic registration of the DNS record '_ldap._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.gc._msdcs.fp.com. 600 IN SRV 0 100 3268 fp01.fp.com.' failed on the following DNS server: 

(6)
    The dynamic registration of the DNS record '_ldap._tcp.2c3118da-b0f1-477a-bd1c-5f7a43987d69.domains._msdcs.fp.com. 600 IN SRV 0 100 389 fp01.fp.com.' failed on the following DNS server: 

(7)
    The dynamic registration of the DNS record '0023f3da-1620-403e-9ead-5eddf1d41e09._msdcs.fp.com. 600 IN CNAME fp01.fp.com.' failed on the following DNS server: 

(8)
    The dynamic registration of the DNS record '_kerberos._tcp.dc._msdcs.fp.com. 600 IN SRV 0 100 88 fp01.fp.com.' failed on the following DNS server: 

(9)
    The dynamic registration of the DNS record '_kerberos._tcp.Default-First-Site-Name._sites.dc._msdcs.fp.com. 600 IN SRV 0 100 88 fp01.fp.com.' failed on the following DNS server: 

(10)
    The dynamic registration of the DNS record 'DomainDnsZones.fp.com. 600 IN A 192.168.0.2' failed on the following DNS server: 

(11)
    The dynamic registration of the DNS record '_kpasswd._udp.fp.com. 600 IN SRV 0 100 464 fp01.fp.com.' failed on the following DNS server: 

If you can help out or point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it greatly...

Thank you,
    Kyle
    Friday, November 20, 2009 4:55 PM

Answers

• Hi KyleKoop,

According to your description, I understand that your Windows 2008 server keep receiving Event ID: 5774.

These events are typically logged with other events that may that may give clues to the problem. In general, these events indicates that the machine is unable to register its records with the DNS server it's configured to register with.

Please check the following steps whether it fixes your issue.

1. On the machine logging the above event, in their TCP/IP configuration, make sure they’re not configured for the same DNS server for both Primary and Secondary.

2. The following registry value is incorrect: “SiteCoverage” under:
        HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon\Parameters
        This value typically should equal the domain name.

3. Change the zone type from Active Directory integrated to "Standard Primary", then stop & start DNS. Then stop & start the netlogon service on the child DC &
        verify that the records are registered. If so, then change the zone type back to Active Directory integrated and verify that the DC no longer records the Eveny log
        errors when the netlogon service is stopped & started.

4. Make sure the machine logging the above event is pointing to a DNS server that support Dynamic updates and is hosting a zone for the domain (i.e. make sure it’s
        not pointing to the ISPs DNS server).

5. verify if there is a CName (or other record) for the same hostname that was manually entered and is preventing a dynamic host registration. Remove the manual record.

6. Parent / child domain. The above event was logged on the domain controllers in the child domain.
        Setup:
        On the parent DNS servers, there is a delegation down to the child DNS servers. The child DNS servers have forwarders up to the parent DNS servers.
        Cause and Fix:
        On the Security tab in the delegations, check if  “Authenticated Users” is missing.
       Added “Authenticated Users” and enabled Full Control.

7. Domain Controller Generates a Netlogon Error Event ID 5774

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=284963

Best Regards,

Wilson Jia

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:48 AM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:23 AM

All replies

• Check these DNS Zones on the DNS server, make sure they support Dynamic DNS Update, in the Zone Properties.
    fp.com
    _msdcs.fp.com

Friday, November 20, 2009 7:52 PM
  • Hi There,

In addition to gunner999 suggestion i would like to know your domain setup

on which dns server are you seeing these errors ?, is this on child domain or on parent domain ?

make sure you check " Allow dynamic updates " settings on the parent AD integrated zone

and make sure you check "only secure updates"
    Monday, November 23, 2009 1:17 AM
  • Hi KyleKoop,

According to your description, I understand that your Windows 2008 server keep receiving Event ID: 5774.

These events are typically logged with other events that may that may give clues to the problem. In general, these events indicates that the machine is unable to register its records with the DNS server it's configured to register with.

1. On the machine logging the above event, in their TCP/IP configuration, make sure they’re not configured for the same DNS server for both Primary and Secondary.

3. Change the zone type from Active Directory integrated to "Standard Primary", then stop & start DNS. Then stop & start the netlogon service on the child DC &
        verify that the records are registered. If so, then change the zone type back to Active Directory integrated and verify that the DC no longer records the Eveny log

4. Make sure the machine logging the above event is pointing to a DNS server that support Dynamic updates and is hosting a zone for the domain (i.e. make sure it’s

5. verify if there is a CName (or other record) for the same hostname that was manually entered and is preventing a dynamic host registration. Remove the manual record.

6. Parent / child domain. The above event was logged on the domain controllers in the child domain.
        Setup:
        On the parent DNS servers, there is a delegation down to the child DNS servers. The child DNS servers have forwarders up to the parent DNS servers.
        Cause and Fix:
        On the Security tab in the delegations, check if  “Authenticated Users” is missing.

Best Regards,

Wilson Jia

• Marked as answer by Wilson Jia Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:48 AM
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:23 AM
  • Hi there,

For me the problem was windows 2008 r2 and third party DNS.

Hotfix released : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977158

DNS updates may be incorrectly reported as failed when you use a third-party DNS server application for DNS registration on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7

Cedric

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 3:45 PM
  • I just had this issue and did ran the following at the server and desktops

reg add hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\tcpip6\parameters /v DisabledComponents /t REG_DWORD /d 255

All IPv6 ::1 went away

b.

Friday, January 9, 2015 6:42 PM
  • Hi KyleKoop,

Setup:
        Cause and Fix:

Best Regards,

Wilson Jia

This worked for me, thank you soooooo much!
    • Proposed as answer by Luke Bayley Monday, May 7, 2018 2:10 AM
    Monday, May 7, 2018 2:10 AM