none
Journaling mailbox not deleting emails in deleted items folder even though there are rules/retention policies RRS feed

• Question

• Lately an issue has occurred that has caused the mailbox we use for journaling to not automatically empty the deleted items folder. We use Contentverse Viewwise for email archiving and it has an admin account that downloads the messages, marks them as read and then deletes them. We are on exchange 2013 cu2. This has worked fine for over 3 years. We have a retention rule that is setup to only keep deleted items for 1 day. When you open the mail in the deleted items it has the correct date that it will expire but both the email archiving program and the retention rules are not deleting the emails. This has cause the mailbox to grow to be huge and now i have to manually go in a clear it out. We are doing database journaling and i am out of ideas, any help/ideas would be appreciated. Thank you

• Edited by tsicoupe Monday, November 7, 2016 4:00 PM
    Monday, November 7, 2016 3:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

How do you configure the retention policy?

Try to run the following command to immediately start messaging records management processing of mailboxes that you specify:
    Start-ManagedFolderAssistant -Identity MailboxName

Best Regards,
    David Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by David Wang_ Thursday, November 10, 2016 8:59 AM
    Tuesday, November 8, 2016 6:57 AM
  • it is configured the way this article shows:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/8393f745-4931-4e49-9dc4-eea2fc454151/empty-deleted-items-folder-using-retention-policy?forum=exchangesvradmin

in addition to those settings i noticed under the mailbox usage tab on the properties for the mailbox i have the option for customize the retention settings for this mailbox chacked and set to *keep deleted items for 1 day.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 3:11 PM
  • Hi,

Have you executed above command ?

Please confirm if the retention policy work fine in the past three years.

I suggest you try to assign the policy to a test mailbox, then check whether the deleted items folder will be removed automatically.

In addition, I made a test in my lab, after configuring the policy, it needs some time to take effect.

Best Regards,
    David Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by David Wang_ Monday, November 21, 2016 9:20 AM
    • Edited by David Wang_ Monday, November 28, 2016 7:04 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2016 1:38 AM