none
USB boot deployment through MDT 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have x64 devices that need to be deployed using MDT2012. I have created USB from Litetouch.iso generated through MDT but devices are not getting boot from the usb. I am simply mount .iso and copy the content to USB, Is it the right way of making bootable USB for devices need to be deployed? Devices are UEFI based.

If I boot the test VM using the ISO, it boots fine but when I create USB from ISO, it doesn't boot the device. Any pointers will be appreciated .

Regards,

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:58 PM

All replies

• Since it is UEFI, the device needs to be formatted for FAT32 instead of NTFS.  Just format the USB Flash Drive as FAT32, make it bootable, and then copy the contents of the ISO over to it.  Then you should be able to boot from it.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:05 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi David,

Thx. Is there any command that will make USB bootable? Looks like I need to format usb using Diskpart utility and not windows (right click and Format)...I'll try this today.

Regards

Thursday, June 27, 2013 4:35 AM
  • Yes, diskpart is the way to go.  Here's a generic idea of what to do (there are tons of pages that have variations on this):

• Open a Command Prompt with Administrator privileges.
    • Insert the target USB boot media device into an available USB port.
    • Type "DiskPart" in the command prompt.
    • Type "List Disk” (make note of the disk number of the target USB drive).
    • Type "Select Disk X”, where X is the target USB drive noted previously.
    • Type "Clean”.
    • Type "Create Partition Primary”.
    • Type "format FS=fat32 quick”.
    • Type "Active”.
    • Type "Assign".
    • Type "list volume".
    • Type "Exit".

Once done, copy the contents of your Boot Image ISO over to the Flash Drive and then give it a try!

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Thursday, June 27, 2013 1:27 PM
    Answerer