Skype for Business hangs on Splash Screen RRS feed

• Question

• Every morning when I start Skype for Business it hangs on the splash screen. The window doesn't freeze, it just keeps cycling those 5 little dots indefinitely. I can sometimes get it to work when I force close it from the task manager and re-open, but recently it has continued to hang. I've reinstalled Office 2016, and tried the quick repair and online repair from the uninstall menu but to no avail. This is quite disruptive to my business, any ideas for a fix?

Friday, September 15, 2017 4:03 PM

All replies

• Hi MadKingMidas,

When you hangs on the splash screen, does it like the following picture?

If you have this circumstance, you can follow these two steps,

1. Install the January 3, 2017, update (KB3128049) for Skype for Business 2016.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3128049/january-3--2017--update-for-skype-for-business-2016-kb3128049

2.Use the following GPO:

Set the DisableSplashScreen key to 1 under the following path:

HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Lync\DisableSplashScreen

Additionally, to show the startup splash screen, set the DisableSplashScreen key to 0.

Best Regards,

Leon-Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by MadKingMidas Wednesday, September 20, 2017 6:07 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MadKingMidas Monday, October 2, 2017 4:28 PM
    Monday, September 18, 2017 3:20 AM
  • Hi Leon, 

Thanks for your reply. I tried both those options, Both the 32 and 42 bit updates say that no supported product was found on my system. That particular DWORD also does not appear in my registry. To be clear I am running Skype for Business as a part of Office 365 Pro Plus. That is the Splash Screen that it gets stuck on, however the "Starting..." text at the bottom does not appear. The splash screen only shows the Skype for Business and Office logos. It does not show the minimize or close buttons in the top right. I am also unable to interact with the splash screen. 
    • Proposed as answer by Marcius Coelho Friday, October 25, 2019 7:32 PM
    Monday, September 18, 2017 4:32 PM
  • Hi MadKingMidas,

If you can not find the DWORD in your registry ,please create it ,like the following picture

Best Regards,

Leon-Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 7:26 AM
  • Unfortunately the issue still appears to be occurring. Though the splash screen no longer shows up, thanks to that registry edit, the program simply does not launch. I can see processes for it showing up in task manager. It appears to start trying to launch, then slowly dips off until it is utilizing 0% of the processor. After that nothing else occurs and I need to end the task and try again. 
    Monday, October 2, 2017 4:30 PM
  • Does anyone else have any ideas? This is very disruptive to my work schedule.
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 4:40 PM
  • Hi MadKingMidas,

1. If you set your account in another computer, does the issue persist?
    2. Do other users in your organization have the same problem?

If just you have this problem and set your account in another computer, the issue is disappear, the problem may caused by the software conflicts, you could operate the clean boot and make a test.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Best Regards,

Leon-Lu

Monday, October 9, 2017 9:59 AM
  • I have the same problem

online repair didn't help

remains only uninstall and install again

this happened already 3 times the last year with outlook or other office 365 tools

first time this happens because of skype

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 5:42 PM