Vanishing Save As dialog RRS feed

• Question

• I've long suspected that the behavior I reported in the SQL Server Manageability forum

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlkjmanageability/thread/a327fad6-74dc-4a2b-a446-bf5741190c16

isn't a problem with SQL Server Management Studio at all, but rather a general Windows 7 problem. 

In summary, if you run this application as an administrator and perform an action that uses a common dialog, then click on the dropdown list at the top of the dialog, the dialog vanishes and the application refuses to close.   You have to kill it via Task Manager.  This doesn't happen if you don't run with elevated privileges.

I can think of a number of places where something might be going wrong: in the common dialog code, in the .NET framework, in MMC, in Explorer...    There's no way for me to tell.

(These machines are assiduously patched via Automatic updates.  I don't want to see anything about installing the latest service pack).

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 3:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please try to turn off UAC, then check whether this makes any difference.

You may also use Process Monitor to check whether the behavior has any differences between them.

Download Process Monitor at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645 

Meatime, since this issue is related to SQL server, If you have further question about this, please focus on the thread you have posted at SQL Server forum. You may also choose to start a new topic there to attract more participants to join this discussion.

Regards,
    Juke
    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum
    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:14 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to turn off UAC, then check whether this makes any difference.

You may also use Process Monitor to check whether the behavior has any differences between them.

Download Process Monitor at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645 

Meatime, since this issue is related to SQL server, If you have further question about this, please focus on the thread you have posted at SQL Server forum. You may also choose to start a new topic there to attract more participants to join this discussion.

Regards,
    Juke

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:14 AM
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 3:34 AM
  • Hi,

Since this issue is related to SQL Sever, I will mark my reply as "Answered". If you have further question on this, please feel free to let me know. You may also choose to unmark this thread.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,
    Juke

Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:14 AM
  • I don't believe it's actually related to SQL Server, because it's happening in a common dialog.   It could be an MMC issue or a problem in the common dialog component.  But, we'll pursue it over there for the time being.
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 4:18 PM