none
Project professional 2007 - EV - updating Baseline cost (without saving full baseline) doesn't updates the BCWS & BCWP RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I am having some projects with tasks that i insert their costs manually to the cost field on the task (not rolled up from resources costs, there are no costs for resources).

Initially i set a cost. 

let's say $100 to a specific task.

Saved the Baseline, so that Baseline cost got also the $100.

Now when i update actual (by changing % complete) BCWS & BCWP are updating as expected.

But there are some cases where we want to change the Cost and Baseline Cost due to some changes (not schedule changes, just cost changes), so let's say the cost now is $200, but i don't want to save the baseline as a whole, since i want to keep the gaps in the schedule but i do want to change the baseline cost to reflect in EV fields.

The issue is that when i update the BL Cost the BCWS remains $100...

so then when i update % complete it is calculating by 100 and not by 200, i don't want to override all BL fields, how can i do it?  is there another field affecting the BCWS and BCWP calaculations?  some BL fields that i need to update?

Any advice will be appreciated.

Ofir Marco , MCTS P.Z. Projects

Thursday, August 20, 2015 11:57 AM

All replies

• I ran into this thread:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/103201?wa=wsignin1.0

But this workaround is not helpful because i don't want to change the baseline dates and duration, only the baseline costs fields, when i do it manually it won't change the calculation for BCWS.

Is there another way?

It says that it is BAC * % complete, but there is no BAC field that i can update on task views, just baseline cost or baseline fixed cost. What is the BAC that is only updated when i save baseline and not manually?

Ofir Marco , MCTS P.Z. Projects

Thursday, August 20, 2015 2:06 PM
  • Timephased Baseline costs are copied when the baseline is set, so editing teh baseline cost field for teh task does not affect timephased costs which is what BCWS is calculated with.

So do a Set Baseline but choose the selected tasks only option and whatever rollup options you want.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Saturday, August 22, 2015 10:38 PM