none
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 (or 1511) for x64 (KB4019472 & KB4019473) RRS feed

• Question

• We are a large government Enterprise install of Windows 7 & Windows 10.  A significant number of systems (the numbers are still coming in) are failing KB4019472.  

The patch installs correctly when installing, does it whole lot of work after logoff and before shutdown, reboots, runs for a while after startup, and then at some point reboots again and says (either before reboot or after, can't remember) that it is resetting the OS to it's previous state due to failure to install the Cumulative Update.

The only error we get is 0x80070003.  I have tried all of the following and more:

1. Stopped Windows Update services and renamed SoftwareDistribution folder to .old.  Restarted services and tried again.  No change.
    2. Ran Dism /Online /cleanup-image /restorehealth | rebooted | ran patch.  No Change.
    3. Ran SFC /scannow .   No Change.
    4. Perform manual cleanup of temp files in C:\windows\temp and %temp%.  No Change.
    5. Tried on Surface Book with and w/out being Docked to MS Dock.  No Change.
    6. Issue is not platform dependent.  Surface Pro 4, Surface Book, Dell Latitude E5470, and Dell OptiPlex 7040 systems all seem to have the issue with exact same problems.  
    7. Booted to PXE, tried Dism /image:c:\ /Add-Package /Packagepath:t:\Windows10.0-kb4019472-x64_delta.msu /IgnoreCheck /PreventPending.   Returned Error:  Discard the modified image and start again.  Error 0x80070003.
    8. Tried Windows Update Diagnostic tool.  Claimed to fix the issue.  After the "fix", Patch would not even attempt to install all the way like all previous attempts.

HELP!!!

• One more thing:  I tried both the full 1.x Gb patch and the 500mb Delta patch.  Same results.  

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 7:51 PM

Answers

• I wrote a script that does the following:

@echo Off
    @echo Takikng Ownership of C:\Windows\servicing...
    @c:\windows\system32\takeown.exe /F c:\Windows\servicing /R /A
    @echo Take Permissions of c:\Windows\servicing...
    @cacls c:\windows\servicing /T /E /G Administrators:F
    @echo Removing broken directory...
    @rd /s /q c:\Windows\servicing\Sessions
    @echo Re-creating empty directory...
    @md c:\Windows\servicing\Sessions
    @echo Please run Patches now!  Problem should be fixed...

It's a little more than necessary but seems to do the trick and it ticks me off that MS Uses file permissions to lock out Administrators from areas they seem to think we're too stupid to deal with.

Monday, May 22, 2017 5:39 PM
  • Hi,

Please first run Winver to check your Windows 10 version, if you have version equal or higher than 14393.953, 10586.839, or you have 1703 already, please know that you are security from this ransomware.  

This error code could be also caused by corrupted session folder under C:\Windows\servicing.

Please try if we can fix this issue by renaming the older one and create new one:

1. Take owndership of Session folder: we can refer to this guide to take ownership of this folder:

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-ownership-and-get-full-access-to-files-and-folders-in-windows-10/

2. Rename this folder as Session.old.

3. Create new folder under C:\Windows\servicing with name Session, then restart you PC to see if the update can be installed properly.

If we can get this worked, we can try to create scripts to implement what we have done to fix other computers.

In addition, to help troubleshooting this issue further, please collect cbs.log and Windowsupdate.log onto OneDrive and share the link here for our research.

To get Windowsupdate.log please run command below as admin in Powershell:

Get-WindowsUpdateLog

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 5:18 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi,

Please first run Winver to check your Windows 10 version, if you have version equal or higher than 14393.953, 10586.839, or you have 1703 already, please know that you are security from this ransomware.  

This error code could be also caused by corrupted session folder under C:\Windows\servicing.

Please try if we can fix this issue by renaming the older one and create new one:

1. Take owndership of Session folder: we can refer to this guide to take ownership of this folder:

http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-take-ownership-and-get-full-access-to-files-and-folders-in-windows-10/

2. Rename this folder as Session.old.

3. Create new folder under C:\Windows\servicing with name Session, then restart you PC to see if the update can be installed properly.

If we can get this worked, we can try to create scripts to implement what we have done to fix other computers.

In addition, to help troubleshooting this issue further, please collect cbs.log and Windowsupdate.log onto OneDrive and share the link here for our research.

To get Windowsupdate.log please run command below as admin in Powershell:

Get-WindowsUpdateLog

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 5:18 AM
    Owner
  • The patch installs correctly when installing, does it whole lot of work after logoff and before shutdown, reboots, runs for a while after startup, and then at some point reboots again and says (either before reboot or after, can't remember) that it is resetting the OS to it's previous state due to failure to install the Cumulative Update.

Sounds familiar but with a different error code being reported.  FWIW I would like to know how an enterprise would handle this (Boot File Servicing) error symptom.  The solution we have so far is only manual.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-update-kb3213986-fails-repeatedly-with/46d9b1af-71a6-4d39-acaf-c3882047ac12

<quote>

Going through the CBS log file, I noticed that just 1 minute after restarting the machine, the "Boot File Servicing Installer" fails, and, seeming not to find an error file, there is the statement "...Failure will not be ignored: A rollback will be initiated after all the operations in the installer queue are completed; installer is reliable[gle=0x80004005]".  It then repeats this failed process for 45 minutes, when it finally begins to uninstall everything already installed.  It was during this 45 minutes that all I say was the very slowly increasing xx% completed counter, nothing more until the failure notice appears.  The entire process takes almost an hour! 

</quote>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 11:27 PM
  • Robert,

That has been our experience as well.  The error message I reported was from a the event log, I forgot to report that other code we saw as well.  

I'm hoping to try the suggestion above this this afternoon.  I will report back the results and if it works, how we would attempt to automate that process.  

Thanks for your input!

Thursday, May 18, 2017 3:22 PM
  • I wrote a script that does the following:

@echo Off
    @echo Takikng Ownership of C:\Windows\servicing...
    @c:\windows\system32\takeown.exe /F c:\Windows\servicing /R /A
    @echo Take Permissions of c:\Windows\servicing...
    @cacls c:\windows\servicing /T /E /G Administrators:F
    @echo Removing broken directory...
    @rd /s /q c:\Windows\servicing\Sessions
    @echo Re-creating empty directory...
    @md c:\Windows\servicing\Sessions
    @echo Please run Patches now!  Problem should be fixed...

It's a little more than necessary but seems to do the trick and it ticks me off that MS Uses file permissions to lock out Administrators from areas they seem to think we're too stupid to deal with.

Monday, May 22, 2017 5:39 PM