Desktop files icons overwritten with Skype icon RRS feed

• Question

• For the past week my desktop icons (only those that are viewed from the desktop and not from within Explorer) are showing up with a Skype logo over top of the correct icon associated with the file (pdf, mp3, txt, and folders) but not exe files, shortcuts, Recycle Bin, Computer, or Network.  Oddly enough I just realized that some of the icons for folders on the desktop are correct and some are with the Skype icon and 2 mp4 files are not overwritten...weird!

Of course, I've uninstalled Skype, replaced the shell32.dll with the one from the Windows 7 CD, deleted the IconCache.db file after editing the registry to increase the max icon cache to 2048. I've run Norton AV and MalwareBytes scans with nothing found (rebooting after each previous step, btw).  I've wasted several days on this to no avail...can anyone help me?! TIA!!

Rod

• Edited by Swartzy Thursday, November 26, 2015 5:58 PM updated
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 5:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since the issue disappear temporarily and appears again after you clear the cache, we consider it may caused by a malware or virus and your anti-virus cannot scanned it. We suggest you scan the virus in safe mode first.

If it still has no result after you scanning, please start the Windows in clean boot mode and then use the command above to clean the cache.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

If it works fine in clean boot mode, you can determine which one can be the cause by using dichotomy in MSconfig. Checking on half of Non-Microsoft service and restart, determining which half of the services cause the issue and repeating to check half of the problematic half services.

If the solutions above still doesn't help, please open Task Manager, then find all the 3rd party process and disable it. Then clear the cache again. After that, please check the issue again.

We are waiting for the result after you checking.

Best Regards

Simon     

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

For the Skype icon, I suggest you install the Skype again to see if the issue exits.

In addition to that, we suggest you boot into safe mode t check if anything block it. If it still doesn't work, you could use the command below to clear the icon cache.

cd /d %userprofile%\AppData\Local
    attrib –h IconCache.db
    del IconCache.db
    start explorer

Good luck to fix it.

Best Regards

Simon 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Balaji M KundalamMVP Monday, November 30, 2015 6:19 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Swartzy Monday, November 30, 2015 11:49 AM
    • Edited by Charles_Wang_ Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:37 AM
    Friday, November 27, 2015 4:36 AM
  • I could reinstall Skype, but honestly I don't want it on my system and I highly doubt its installation or not has anything to do with this issue as it had been on my machine for months prior to the issue and removed weeks after the issue started.  I've already created a batch (.BAT) file to "clear the icon cache" and it had only a momentary effect on the first couple of runs and now does nothing. As for the MP4 files, you're mistaken as nothing was deleted in regards to them. The point of the MP4's was that those placed on the desktop did not have their icons messed with and showed the typical clip snapshot as their icons.
    Monday, November 30, 2015 11:49 AM
  • Hi,

Since the issue disappear temporarily and appears again after you clear the cache, we consider it may caused by a malware or virus and your anti-virus cannot scanned it. We suggest you scan the virus in safe mode first.

If it still has no result after you scanning, please start the Windows in clean boot mode and then use the command above to clean the cache.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

If it works fine in clean boot mode, you can determine which one can be the cause by using dichotomy in MSconfig. Checking on half of Non-Microsoft service and restart, determining which half of the services cause the issue and repeating to check half of the problematic half services.

If the solutions above still doesn't help, please open Task Manager, then find all the 3rd party process and disable it. Then clear the cache again. After that, please check the issue again.

We are waiting for the result after you checking.

Best Regards

Simon     

Tuesday, December 1, 2015 1:45 AM