none
Is there a Limit on number of servers in the SharePoint farm RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a limit on the number of servers which can be in the SharePoint 2010 farm (Database + WFE + SA Servers) so that they can be protected by DPM 2010.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 12:25 PM

Answers

• MSDN Student,

I finally found you an answer!

There is no restrtiction on the number of servers in a SharePoint farm in DPM 2010.  2007 did cap the number of DBs in the farm to "...less than 100."

The number tested by our development team for DPM 2010 was around 100 DBs on 7-8 servers.

I hope this helps with your scenario.

Walt W [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, January 5, 2011 3:27 PM

All replies

• Please do help me out here.

My SP farm would have 8 Database servers ( +8 in mirror so total 16)

Will DPM 2010 will be able to protect this farm?

Friday, October 15, 2010 1:27 PM
  • bump! any response.
    Friday, October 22, 2010 1:24 PM
  • bump!
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 6:51 AM
  • MSDN Student,

I see know reason why it could not backup a farm with that many servers.  It just adds to the complexity of things, that's all.  Are you having issues or is it just a theoretical question?

Walt W [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, December 29, 2010 4:37 PM
  • Its a theoretical question. I want to know what is the max limit of DPM server when it comes to protecting a sharepoint farm.

I am OK if this is a very high number.... but still would want to know it.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 6:17 PM
  • I have seen as many as 8.  That is the best answer that I can give you.  Wish I knew that answer.  I will try to do some research internally to see if I can finda  better answer for you!

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 9:34 PM
  • MSDN Student,

I finally found you an answer!

There is no restrtiction on the number of servers in a SharePoint farm in DPM 2010.  2007 did cap the number of DBs in the farm to "...less than 100."

The number tested by our development team for DPM 2010 was around 100 DBs on 7-8 servers.

I hope this helps with your scenario.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011 3:27 PM
  • Just to clarity .... 100 SharePoint content databases spread accross 7-8 SQL Servers were backed up on 1 DPM 2010 server. correct?

or were 100 databases backed up on 7-8 DPM 2010 servers?

BTW, I have 300 content databases spread accross 5 SQL Server boxes

Thursday, January 6, 2011 6:02 AM