none
playing games

Question

• Ever since I had windows 10, a game that I often play on windows 7 has stopped working so I am unable to use this game on windows 7.

I can understand Microsoft wanting to get people to move over to windows 10 but it is really unnecessary to stop things working on windows 7 just to get people to give up windows 7. We have paid good money to get windows 7 in the first place and support doesn't end until 2020.

I even had to reinstall win 7 a couple of times to get it to work but to no avail. The most recent reinstall of windows 7 enabled me to play the game I wanted to play. The last time I was able to play this game was this morning. Then this afternoon I got round to catching up with all the updates for win 7 - guess what happened, the game stopped working. So it's obvious one of the updates stops the program from working.

I'd appreciate having this update withdrawn and a replacement put in place so we can continue to use win 7. Either that or post some instructions on how we can restore the program to work.

Thank you.

Friday, February 26, 2016 9:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Charles,

Since it works fine this morning before update installed, your analysis is quite reasonable, this issue might be caused by updates.

If you have created a restore point before this game stopped working, we could try to restore your system back to fix this issue.

If you want to find the culprit, we could view the Updates history in Control panel. Then try the dichotomy to uninstall them one by one to have a troubleshoot.

Path: Control panel\System and Security\Windows Update\View update history

If you just want to restore the game to work, we could just uninstall those updates and turn off Windows Updates temporarily in case it happens again.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 29, 2016 10:15 AM

All replies

• Which game is it?

If the game doesn't run in compatibility mode then there is no other way to run it on Windows 10.

You may try a System Restore. Select any restore point when you were able to play the game.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Sunday, February 28, 2016 12:21 AM
  • Hi Charles,

Since it works fine this morning before update installed, your analysis is quite reasonable, this issue might be caused by updates.

If you have created a restore point before this game stopped working, we could try to restore your system back to fix this issue.

If you want to find the culprit, we could view the Updates history in Control panel. Then try the dichotomy to uninstall them one by one to have a troubleshoot.

Path: Control panel\System and Security\Windows Update\View update history

If you just want to restore the game to work, we could just uninstall those updates and turn off Windows Updates temporarily in case it happens again.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 29, 2016 10:15 AM
  • In addition to the above suggestions, kindly share the error message you see, so that we can narrow down on a possible solution. You can even share the behavior when you try to open the game, like changing of colors, etc.

Balaji Kundalam

Friday, March 04, 2016 7:12 AM