Weird things happen with U+2011 (NO-BREAKING HYPHEN) in Word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• This is a screenshot of a Word 2010 document with the Calibri font were the following characters were typed: 'O' followed by NO_BREAKING HYPHEN (obtained with the shortcut Ctrl+Shift+_, followed by 'o', followed by a space character, followed again by 'O', followed by NO_BREAKING HYPHEN (obtained by typing 2011 followed by Alt+x), followed by 'o'.

One can easily see that the two glyphs for the NO_BREAKING HYPHEN are different and more:

1. If you place the caret at the right of the first NO_BREAKING HYPHEN and type Alt+x the Unicode code point is not shown for the character.
    2. When you insert the second NO_BREAKING HYPHEN by typing 2011 Alt+x, the font is automatically changed to MS Gothic, which is a surprise, as the font Calibri certainly contains the character U+2011, as can be seen below.

The following is a screenshot of a WordPad document with same sequence of characters explained above, and the Calibri font.

Now one can see that the two glyphs are the same and if you type Alt+x to the right of the first or the second NO_BREAKING HYPHEN char, you'll get the correct code point 2011. Also, the font doesn't change to MS Gothic, as it does in Word.

• Edited by Belloc Monday, November 25, 2013 5:32 PM
    Monday, November 25, 2013 5:31 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I’ve tested this issue in my environment, both Word 2010 and Word 2013 have the same issue. I think the behavior is by design so far.

To work around this, we can create macro to change the font back to your often used font. For example:

Sub Macro1()
        Selection.Font.Name = "Calibri"
    End Sub

We can add the macro commands to the Quick Access Toolbar to get it more convenient to use.

Since we are not the best resource for coding, you can also post in MSDN forum to see if the macro can be triggered automatically when pressing Alt + X.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=worddev

Thanks.

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Steve Fan Monday, December 2, 2013 2:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Belloc Monday, December 2, 2013 4:18 PM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2013 10:06 AM